- Salaries and wages- Faculty, technicians, graduate students, post docs, etc.
- Summer Salary can be charged up to 40% of faculty members’ base salary. More than that requires a course buyout. Please see your college administrator for more information on this process.
- Fringe rates- The negotiated rate that we can charge for employee associated costs such as health plan and workman's compensation expenses
- Equipment- Considered an article of non-expendable tangible personal property having a useful life of more than one year and a cost of over $1,500.
- Supplies – Expendable property cost of less than $1,500 and/or life expectancy of less than 1 year.
- Consultants – Individuals outside of NEU whose expertise and skills would add value to the project. NEU faculty and staff do not qualify.
- Travel – Transportation, lodging and sustenance.
- Subawards – Collaborating institutions budgeted to perform a significant portion of the project.
- Other – Animal care, leases, rentals, etc.
Indirect Cost Rate:
- This charge pays for the research infrastructure here at NEU. Our current rates can be found at the link in the box located above right
- Cost Share - Cost sharing is the portion of the total project of a sponsored agreement that is contributed by the university and /or other non-federal sources but not reimbursed by the sponsor.
- How to compute the value of volunteer time:
- Budget Justification: Explains the method(s) used to estimate and calculate costs and justifies the need for the cost
- Research Misconduct: Policy on Research Misconduct
A Guide for Sponsored Project Expenditures – A primer on which costs are allowable and which are not