1) Are you eligible to be a Principal Investigator?
The privilege to act as a Principal Investigator (PI) or a Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) on an externally-funded project is automatically conferred upon all Northeastern faculty members as outlined in the PI Eligibility Policy. As defined at Northeastern, the Principal Investigator or Project Director leads a project or program and accepts overall responsibility for its direction, the financial oversight of the award, and compliance with the terms and conditions of the award and relevant institutional and sponsor policies.
Faculty with the following titles are automatically eligible:
- Research Professor
- Associate Professor
- Associate Research Professor
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Research Professor
Those without the aforementioned titles must use the Temporary PI Status Request Form above
2) Get familiar with the proposal requirements:
- Read the directions, most proposals are rejected simply because the directions were not followed correctly!
- Is it being submitted electronically? Make sure you download any application forms (ie: grants.gov kits) and fill them out in anticipation of submitting to our office (by emailing them to your grant officer)
- Need help filling out those pesky forms? Check out our fact sheet: NU Fact Sheet
3) Use our Proposal Submission software COEUS!
- Contact us to request training on the use of COEUS.