1) Are you eligible to be a Principal Investigator?
The privilege to act as a Principal Investigator (PI) or a Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) on an externally-funded project is automatically conferred upon all Northeastern faculty members as outlined in the PI Eligibility Policy. As defined at Northeastern, the Principal Investigator or Project Director:
- Directs the scientific aspects of the project
- Authorizes all expenditures of project funds to assure that costs charged are appropriate and benefit the project
- Oversees the budgetary management of the award
- Completes required technical reports
- Is responsible for compliance with applicable University policies and federal regulations and laws
Faculty with the following titles are automatically eligible:
- Research Professor
- Associate Professor
- Associate Research Professor
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Research Professor
Those without the aforementioned titles must use the Temporary PI Status Request Form above
2) Get familiar with the proposal requirements:
- Read the directions, most proposals are rejected simply because the directions were not followed correctly!
- Is it being submitted electronically? Make sure you download any application forms (ie: grants.gov kits) and fill them out in anticipation of submitting to our office (by emailing them to your grant officer)
- Need help filling out those pesky forms? Check out our fact sheet: NU Quick Facts
3) Use our Proposal Submission software COEUS!
- Contact us to request training on the use of COEUS.