Goals of the Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Protect the rights of human subjects who participate in research conducted by faculty, staff, and students of Northeastern University.
- Assess the risks and benefits of proposed research, and ensure that risks to human subjects are kept to an absolute minimum and are justified by potential benefits of the research.
- Ensure the confidentiality of information obtained from research subjects to the extent allowed by law.
- Ensure that, where appropriate, an Informed Consent or Informed Consent and Health Information Use and Disclosure Authorization is obtained from each research subject.
- Facilitate high quality research at Northeastern University.
- Create a cooperative process, encouraging dialogue with researchers.
- Comply with applicable state and federal privacy laws.