Entering a Detailed Budget in Coeus Lite requires the following steps:
1. Select the "Appointment Type" for Budget Persons. By default Budget Persons are the people entered in the Investigator/Key Persons section.
2. You will be brought to the Budget Set Up section for Budget Personnel. Make changes to Budget Personnel as needed and enter the Base Salary for all Budget Personnel. Make sure that the Base Salary corresponds to the Effective Date. The Effective Date matches the start of the proposal period and should not be changed. Add additional employes that are to be named on the proposal. Post-docs and graduate students can be added from the Add TBA link. After updating the information click save.
3. Under Budget Set Up you can also Adjust Periods for the proposal and adjust Proposal Rates.
4. Once the Budget Set Up has been completed you can proceed to building the budget for Budget Period 1. Equipment, Travel, Participant/Trainee, Other Direct Costs are managed similarly in their respective sections. Fill in the Cost Type, Description, Quantity, and Funds Requested fields. Descriptions entered will not print to the proposal with the exception of Equipment. Add as many budget lines as necessary. Calculate to see the impact to your budget and Save frequently to avoid being timed out.
Note: All budget items entered in the Other Direct Costs section will be consolidated to one budget line item when Coeus generates the final proposal budget on the RR Budget Form.
5. For the Personnel Budget section, click the Add Person link. You will be presented with a list of Investigators/Key Persons that were added in the Investigators/Key Persons section, as well as any other employees that were added in the Budget Set Up section, such as a Graduate Student. Select the checkbox for the individual that you would like to enter at this time. Although it is possible to add multiple people at the same time, it will be easier to manage this section one person at a time. Click the Save button. You will be brought to the Personnel Budget page. There you can enter details pertaining to the Salary Type and Effort for that particular budget period. Click the Save button once you have completed the necessary fields. Click the Add Person link to add other Budget Persons.
6. If you have completed your budget for period 1 you can go to the left side navigation and click Generate All Periods; this will copy over the period 1 budget and generate the outgoing budget periods for the proposal. It will inflate the outgoing budget years based on the proposal rate established in the Proposal Rates section under Budget Set Up.
The default inflation rate is 3%.
7. Once your budget has been completed, click the Budget Versions link from the left side navigation. Click the Final checkbox, then change the Budget Status to Complete to properly denote your budget as final.
Note: If you create additional budget versions you can only mark one budget as final and complete.
Visit the Entering Faculty Effort section of the website for details on how to correctly completed the Personnel Budget section.