Instructions for Processing Rollover Spreadsheets
- Fall Semester 2012 (Banner term code 201310)
- Registration opens Monday, March 26, 2012.
- Updates are due Friday, February 3, 2012.
To present you with an easy method to make changes to your rolled schedule we have prepared a spreadsheet for your use. The spreadsheet contains the rolled class information from the same term in the previous year (fall 2011 rolled to fall 2012). All information on each line pertains to the specific section listed.
Detailed instructions are listed below and we request that you read them through before you begin making your changes. Please also refer to the Guidelines for Creating the Class Schedule—there is information there pertinent to your work with the spreadsheet. It is important that you give us your changes in the correct format so we can enter them accurately. If you have any questions regarding these changes or need assistance, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Submitting Your Changes
Once you have completed entering your changes to the spreadsheet, please save it to your hard drive and send it as an e-mail attachment (together with any ancillary information) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send the spreadsheet to a specific person in the scheduling office—that will slow the update processing.
Please do not delete columns or reformat the worksheet. If you to “hide columns” while working on the spreadsheet, please remember to “unhide” them before you return the worksheet to us.
Please see Short Title Change below to find the process to follow when adding special topics titles to your classes. New short titles will appear on the student transcript. Longer versions of the title can be added to the schedule for students to view but will not appear on the transcript.
Do not make changes to the original data on the spreadsheet. We will not be checking the original data for changes.
- Making changes: To make changes to a rolled class, enter the change information only on the green-shaded change line below each class. Enter your new data in the cell below the field to be changed.
- Banner Codes: You must use the approved Banner codes for programs, majors, minors, concentrations, classes and levels. For valid Banner codes, please bookmark the registrar’s Banner Web page.
- Legacy Codes: Spreadsheets with obsolete legacy codes will be returned to the department for correction.
- Adding New Classes: Go to the end of the spreadsheet below the red bar and find the heading “Add New Courses Here.” Enter each new class following the format of the spreadsheet.
Glossary of Spreadsheet Fields
- Term: The applicable semester or quarter and year. This is the “rolled-to” term.
- Course Number: The course subject code and number listed in Banner Catalog.
- Section Number: A numeric counter to identify multiple sections of the same course.
- CRN (Course Registry Number): A unique identifier for each course.
- Status: If you made a course number inactive in the past, the rollover process will not roll that class into the new term and it will not appear on this worksheet. Please see also Cancel Course Y below for directions to cancel a class or resurrect a cancelled class. Valid Banner codes are:
- A (active)
- C (canceled)
- I (inactive)
- Part of Term: Denotes full term, first half or second half of term, or other special break points in a term. Valid Banner codes are:
- 1 (full term undergraduate),
- 2 (full term graduate)
- A (first half term all)
- B (second half term all)
- Blank (CBA open learning programs)
- Short Title: The 30-character title from Banner Catalog. This title will appear on the schedule and the student transcript. Any change is valid only for this section and this term. A permanent title change can be made only by submitting an approved Course Number Registry Form. Please see also Short Title Change below for making minor alterations to the short title.
- Instructional Method: Valid Banner codes are:
- HY (Hybrid, a combination of online and on ground)
- SAFL (NU faculty-led study abroad)
- OL (online)
- SA (study abroad)
- TR (traditional)
- VS (video streaming)
- Blank (same as traditional)
- Credit Hour: Assigned to the course by the college/department at the time the course was created and is carried from Banner Catalog. A change can be made only by submitting an approved Course Number Registry Form. Please see also Processing Variable Credit/Billing Hours below.
- Meetings: The meeting day and time (start and end) for this class. Banner uses military time and it would be helpful to us if you would also. Examples:
- 10:00 AM =1000
- 1:35 PM = 1335
- 4:00 PM = 1600
- Campus: The campus or location where this class will meet. Examples:
- BOS (Boston Main Campus)
- BRD (Broad Street, Boston)
- CHL (Charlotte, NC)
- Instructor: The name and NUID of the faculty member teaching the section. We cannot process without the NUID. Please see also Instructor Changes below for information about adding multiple instructors.
- Enrl Last Year: This is the final enrollment of this section offered in this term last year at the same day and time.
- Enrl Max This Year: The maximum number of students who can enroll in this class for this term. Please refer to the field Enrl Last Year and make adjustments accordingly. Rooming is processed using this number, so please be accurate.
- Restrictions: These are the registration restrictions rolled from the previous year. Please see also Registration Restrictions below.
- Special Approvals: The registration approvals are rolled from the previous year. Please see also Registration Restrictions below. Valid Banner codes are:
- A (advisor)
- D (department)
- G (graduate director)
- I (instructor)
- General Comments: You may provide additional data such as special dates, specific rooms (departmental space only), special rooming instructions, specific off-campus locations, or other information you believe is pertinent to support either student registration or rooming. You may enter this information in the applicable column or insert another blank line after the course.
Instructions for Updating the Worksheet
- Cancel Course Y: Y in this column indicates that the rolled section was cancelled last year. If this is correct for this year no further action is required. We will delete the section from this year’s schedule. If you wish to resurrect this section, please enter an N in this cell on the green shaded change line below and we will reactivate the section.
Honors Y: Y in this column indicates the rolled section was an honors class last year and was restricted to honors students. If this is correct for this year no further action is required. If this is NOT an honors section this year, place an N in this cell on the green shaded change line below and we will remove all honors indicators, attributes and restrictions.
- Short Title Change: If you wish to display the title of a topics section, please enter the pertinent information on the green shaded change line in the title cell. This change will be reflected on the schedule and the student transcript. Remember, there are only 30 characters available. We will spell out longer title changes, and they will be displayed on the schedule directly below the Course Title in SSB, but they will not appear on the student transcript. Remember: This is not to be used for a permanent title change. A permanent title change can be made only by submitting an approved Course Number Registry Form.
- Processing Variable Credit/Billing Hours: Students cannot select the number of credits they wish to attain when registering for classes with variable credit hours. This can be done only in the college or department. If you want students to be able to register for these classes, you will need to set the number of credits for this class.
- Instructor Changes: Banner supports multiple instructors for classes. Everyone listed as instructor will have access to the class roster, but only one can be the primary instructor who will enter the grades. Please indicate the primary instructor with (P) after the name. Remember: No instructors can be added without the NUID.
Registration Restrictions—Please Add Carefully
These remaining instructions pertain to registration restrictions on the section. Please use care when determining your registration restrictions. Always refer to the new Banner college, program, and major codes from the registrar’s Banner Web page.
For valid Banner codes, please bookmark the registrar’s Banner Web page. Spreadsheets with obsolete legacy codes will be returned to the department for correction.
- Use Signature Approval sparingly as it slows down registration.
- College Restrictions are carried down from Banner Catalog. You may make changes if necessary. If it is a permanent change to the course, and not just this section, you must submit an approved Course Number Registry Form.
- Major and Program Restrictions are carried down from Banner Catalog. You may make changes if necessary. If it is a permanent change to the course, and not just this section, you must submit an approved Course Number Registry Form. Remember, you must use the new major and program codes.
- Class Restrictions are carried down from Banner Catalog. You may make changes if necessary. If it is a permanent change to the course, and not just this section, you must submit an approved Course Number Registry Form. Valid Banner class codes are:
- FR (freshman)
- SH (sophomore)
- JR (junior)
- SR (senior)
- GR (graduate).
- Level Restrictions are carried down from Banner Catalog. The only approved change that can be made to this field is if a course is in the 5000 range and listed as graduate/undergraduate and you wish to restrict a section to only one level.