Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic AffairsStephen Director
The Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs is Northeastern's chief academic and its second ranking officer, with broad responsibility for ensuring that all educational and research programs as well as the faculty are of the highest quality. Specifically, the Provost
- guides the university in implementing the academic plan, with a special responsibility for integrating academic planning across the colleges and fostering cross-college interdisciplinary initiatives within the goals of the plan;
- collaborates with the President in setting overall academic priorities for the university and allocates funds to support those priorities; and
- works with the Deans, the Colleges, and the Faculty Senate to ensure that recruitment, mentoring, and tenure and promotion processes attract and retain excellent faculty.
The Provost is also charged with:
- sustaining and enlarging Northeastern's reputation as a leading center of experiential education;
- enhancing the research mission of the university by elevating research funding, strengthening the research infrastructure, and extending partnerships with industry consistent with the university's academic plan's focus on interdisciplinary and translational research;
- furthering the University's distinctive centers of emerging excellence in the arts and humanities and their partnerships with other area institutions; and
- in cooperation with other senior administrative officers, developing the university's annual budget and long-term financial plans and overseeing the delivery of strong administrative services to support the university's academic activities.
The Deans of the university's academic units and the Library report to the Provost.