For Freshmen, a Summer Internship may be the best way to test the waters of a field. Below are some options for you to begin exploring opportunities – in the US and beyond. See Northeastern University Career Development for further assistance.
- AAMC Summer Undergraduate Research Programs has a variety of summer research opportunities offered at universities and hospitals nationwide.
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory gives highly selected individuals the opportunity to conduct research working next to their leading scientists.
- Brookhaven National Laboratory sponsored by the US Support Program offers one year internships in Vienna, Austria, at the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute offers students from disadvantaged backgrounds opportunities in the Exceptional Research Opportunities Program (EXROP).
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program offers students a variety of academic and career experiences to support dental and medical school career preparation.
- Travelers Summer Research Fellowship Program for Premedical Students offers summer research fellowships at Cornell Medical School with a focus on issues that affect the health of traditionally undeserved groups
- Tufts Adventures in Veterinary Medicine is a career-exploration program designed to provide participants with direct insights into the opportunities and realities of a career in veterinary medicine
- UMass Medical School Summer Undergraduate Research Program is a 10-week, non-credit summer research program that provides students with in-depth exposure to laboratory scientific research under the guidance of a mentor