The Committee Letter is written by a member of the Northeastern PreHealth Advisory Program Committee (usually the Director or the Manager of the PreHealth Program). To qualify for a Committee Letter applicants must meet all Deadlines and Letter Requirements.
PostBacc students please note: To qualify for a Northeastern University Committee Letter, Post-Bacc students need to complete at least four one-year science course sequences at Northeastern.
Please do not request any letters until you have carefully reviewed the information provided in the When and How to Request Letters webpage in this section, as well as the instructions in the Letters of Evaluation Section of MedAppTrak. We expect you to explain the process to each evaluator who agrees to submit a letter in support of your application.
To be eligible to request a Committee Letter of Evaluation, you must request three internal and one – three external letters of evaluation. Letters must be requested through MedAppTrak.
Internal Letters (3 letters)
These letters must be written by Northeastern University academic faculty (not lab TA’s) who have taught you in class, or through a directed study and are familiar with your academic achievement. You must request at least two letters from science faculty (biology, chemistry, math, physics). You may request the third letter from academic faculty in any course discipline, science or non-science.
External Letters (1 – 3 letters)
Typically, these letters of evaluation will come from your co-op supervisors, volunteer supervisors, and/or research and/or community service supervisors. At least one letter must come from a practitioner in the field to which you are applying (ie from a Dentist if you are applying to dental school, from a DO if you are applying to Osteopathic School, etc.) and must represent a relevant medical experience in the United States within the previous 18 months. That experience must include patient interaction. Letters from family friends, even if they are physicians, are not encouraged. Letters from family members are not allowed.
The external letters should address your characteristics and motivation for working in a research, medical, or volunteer setting and the significance of your contributions to the organization. Letters may also address your ability to interact with others (e.g., patients) or to work as part of a team. These are important characteristics for admissions committees to know about as they evaluate your motivation for a career in the health professions. One to three letters of this type are sufficient.
If you volunteered (or were paid) to perform work for a Northeastern faculty member and did not receive academic credit for that experience, the letter would be considered an external letter.
Dates and Deadlines
These dates and deadlines have been established to help you stay on track and be ready to apply as early in the application cycle as possible. Please note that the PreHealth Program is very strict about deadlines. If you miss these deadlines it is likely that we will not be able to write a Committee Letter.
October 6, 2014
- Informational Meeting – 2015 Kick-off Event! If you did not attend this meeting, please CLICK HERE to view a copy of the presentation. (Attendance at this meeting is strongly recommended, but not required for a Committee Letter.)
November 30, 2014
- Attend a Small Group Foundation Meeting with a PreHealth Advisor – Dates and Times are posted on your myNEU calendar. (Attending a Foundation Meeting is strongly recommended, but not required for a Committee Letter.)
January 31, 2015
- Complete a Self-Assessment of your readiness to apply in June-July, 2015. Email a copy of your Self-Assessment to Cynthia Seltzer at email@example.com.
- Begin studying for your Admissions Examination. (Recommended, not required for a Committee Letter.)
- Begin researching schools to which you may plan to apply. (Recommended, not required for a Committee Letter.)
- Submit your Applicant Agreement for all fields that you will submit applications.
March 15, 2015
- Letters of Evaluation Due. Please review requirements in the Letters of Evaluation section of this website.
April 15, 2015
- Request your Committee Letter Interview. Please review your applicant agreement and the “Request Committee Letter” section of MedAppTrak for additional information about eligibility requirements and how to request a Committee Letter Interview.
May 15, 2015
- Complete your Committee Letter Interview.
June 1, 2015
- Sit for Admissions Exam – Caveat: if you are not sufficiently prepared, please do not sit for the exam – instead, schedule meeting with PreHealth Advisor. If you are taking the MCAT and were unable to attend the MCAT Workshop please see Recent Workshops for a copy of the presentation.
July 31, 2015
- Allopathic, Osteopathic, Dental, Veterinary Applicants: Submit your primary application. Regardless of when you complete your Committee Letter Interview, you must submit your primary application on or by July 31, 2015 for us to submit a Committee Letter, unless you have requested an approved exception to this requirement on or before July 1, 2015.
August 31, 2015
- Optometry and Podiatry Applicants: Submit your primary application. Regardless of when you complete your Committee Letter Interview, you must submit your primary application on or by August 31, 2015 for us to submit a Committee Letter, unless you have requested an approved exception to this requirement on or before July 1, 2015.