Areas of Study
American Political Parties and Elections, Political Representation and Public Policy; and Democratization and Democratic Government
- Winning the Presidency 2012. Boulder and London: Paradigm Publishers. Editor and Co-Author. (expected publication date March, 2013).
- The Obama Presidency: Promise and Performance. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books/Rowman & Littlefield. Editor and Co-Author. (2012)
- Winning the Presidency 2008. Boulder and London: Paradigm Publishers, 2009. Editor and Co-Author. (Received CHOICE Award)Chapter 1. “The Bush Presidency and the 2008 Presidential Election: Context and Imprint”
- Chapter 2. “Electing Obama: The 2008 Presidential Campaign”
- POLITY: Special Edition: The 2008 Elections, Volume 41, Number 3, July 2009. Editor and Co-Author.
- Published article in refereed journal: “Policy and Politics: The Bush Administration and the 2008 Presidential Election.” Polity “Special Issue: The 2008 Elections,” Volume 41, No. 3 (July, 2009), pp 282-311 and also “The 2008 Elections: Introduction,” pp 279-291.
- “The Catholic Church in Ireland: Triumph and Decline,” in The Irish Celebrating: Festive and Tragic Overtones, Marie-Claire Considere-Charon, Philippe Laplace and Michel Savaric, Editors (Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008), pp. 234-248.
- “Review Essay: Protecting the Homeland: The Bush Administration at Work,” POLITY, Journal of the Northeastern Political Science Association, 2008.
- “Crucibles of Political Loyalty: Church Institutions and Electoral Continuity in Hungary,” Book Review, Political Psychology, 2008.
- A Defining Election: The Presidential Race of 2004. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharp, Inc. 2005.
- Democratic Development and Political Terrorism. Boston, MA: Northeastern University Press, forthcoming 2004. Editor and Co-author.
- Handbook of Party Politics, London: Sage Publications, 2006. 45 chapters, 550 pages. Co-Editor and co-Author.
- A Defining Moment. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2005. Editor and Co-author. (Received CHOICE Award)
- Democratic Development and Political Terrorism. Boston, MA: Northeastern University Press, 2005. Editor and Co-author.
- The Politics of Terror: the U.S. Response to 9/11. Boston, MA: Northeastern University Press, 2004. Editor and Co-author. CHOICE: Current reviews for Academic Libraries, 2004: “Outstanding Academic Title;” “This should be required reading for all Americans;” “One of the best chapters is the Editor’s.” (From review.)
- Political Terrorism and American Society. Forthcoming 2005.
- Ireland on the World Stage. Essex, United Kingdom: Pearson Education, 2001. Co-editor and Co-author with David Schmitt.
- Ireland and the Politics of Change. London: Longman, 1998. Co-editor and Co-author with David Schmitt.
- The Politics of Presidential Selection. New York: HarperCollins, 1996. Co-author with John S. Jackson, III.
- The Stage of Democracy in America
- The Politics of Presidential Selection
- America’s Choice 2000
- Assassinations and Political Violence. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1969. Also published and distributed by Bantam Books, with an Introduction by Harrison B. Salisbury (New York, 1970), and by Praeger Publishers, 1970. Co-author.
- Publications in process:book on Democratic Development in the American Party System (book attempting to explain and develop empirically the structural basis for party and policy polarization in American society)
Selected Professional Activities
- Executive Council, New England Political Science Association (NEPSA), 2012-2014
- Hubert H. Humphrey Award, Policy Studies Organization, 1993. (Previous recipients include Donna Shalala, Jeanne Kirkpatrick, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Alice Rivlin and Daniel Patrick Moynihan).
- Samuel J. Eldersveld Lifetime Career Achievement Award, Political Organizations and Parties Organized Section, American Political Science Association, 1991.
- President’s Award, Policy Studies Organization, 1991.
- National Chair, Progressive Political Science Caucus. 1995-2000
- Board of Directors, Gorbachev Foundation of North America, 1998-
- Executive Committee, Representation and Electoral Systems, American Political Science Association, 2001-
- President, Policy Studies Organization, 1990-1991.
- President, Midwest Political Science Association, 1988 – 1989.
- President, Political Organizations and Parties Organized Section of the American Political Science Association, 1983-1987.
Recent Awards and Recognitions
- Winning the Presidency 2008, ed. by William J. Crotty was recognized by Choice Magazine, 2009.
- Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award in 2007.
- The Politics of Terror: The U.S. Response to 9/11, ed. by William J. Crotty, selected by Choice Magazine for “Outstanding Academic Title”, 2004
Selected Conferences and Presentations
- Luncheon speaker, New England Political Science Association Annual meeting, Hartford CT, April 30, 2011
- The Democracy Series (Spring 2010): The Democracy Series organized and funded by the Thomas P. O’Neill Chair in Public Life brought to the Northeastern University campus outstanding academicians from other universities expert in various regions and aspects relating to on-going processes and problems of democratic development meant to achieve the fulfillment of politically and socially equitable societies globally.
- Presentation- “Primaries and Presidents”, January 17, 2008, Northeastern University
- Presentation- “Presidential Nominations and Party Change: The Primaries of 2008 in Historical Perspective,” February 7, Northeastern University
- Presentation- “The War of Terror and Its Impact,” October 5, 2006
- Presentation- “National Security and Electoral Politics,” November 8, 2006
- Promoting Tolerance Seminar, co-sponsored by the Center for the Study of Democracy (O’Neill Chair) and the Center for Urban and Regional Policy and The American Jewish Committee, November 11, 2005, Northeastern University
Recent Courses Taught
- POLS 7255- American Political Parties
- POLS 7351- Democratization and Governance
- POLS 7352- Democratization: Basic Approaches
- POLS 7353- Comparative Democracies
- POLS 7354- Comparative Political Parties and Electoral Systems
- POLS 3310- Parties and Elections
- POLS 4575- Special Topic in U.S. Politics