Areas of Study
Urban Public Policy, Political Economy of Metropolitan Areas, Suburbanization and Smart Growth, Globalization and the City
- Suburban Crossroads: The Fight for Local Control of Immigration Policy. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2012.
- Cities and Suburbs: New Metropolitan Realities in the US. New York: Routledge, 2010 (with John Rennie Short and Bernadette Hanlon).
- Transforming Race and Class in Suburbia: Decline in Metropolitan Baltimore. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008.
- “The Spatial Transformation of First-Tier Suburbs, 1970 to 2000: The Case of Metropolitan Baltimore.” Housing Policy Debate 19: 3 (2008), pp. 479-518.
- “The Quest to Confront Suburban Decline: Political Realities and Lessons.” Urban Affairs Review 43: 4 (2008), pp. 553-581.
- “The Political History of a Postwar Suburban Society Revisited.” History Compass 6: 1 (2008), pp. 364-388.
- “The Fate of Inner Suburbs: Evidence from Metropolitan Baltimore.” Urban Geography28: 3 (2007), pp. 249-275 (with Bernadette Hanlon).
- “Megalopolis 50 Years On: The Transformation of a City Region.” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 31: 2 (2007), pp. 344-367 (with John Rennie Short and Bernadette Hanlon).
Selected Professional Activities
- Executive Council Member of the Urban Politics Section of American Political Science Association, 2008 to 2010.
- Best Paper Committee Member of the Urban Politics Section of American Political Science Association, 2007.
- Invited Participant and Lecture, “Smart Growth and Community Investment.” The Smart Growth at 10 Years Conference. College Park, Maryland, October 3-5, 2007.
- Invited Testimony, “Affordable Housing in Metropolitan Maryland.” The Maryland Governor’s Commission on Housing Policy. Annapolis, 2004.
- Member, Urban Affairs Association.
- Member, Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning.
- Member, American Political Science Association.
Since 2010, has been faculty leader for the “Dialogue of Civilizations: Brazil in the 21st Century”.
Recent Courses Taught
- POLS 7203 Techniques of Policy Analysis
- PPUA 6201 The 21st Century City
- POLS 1000 Political Science at Northeastern University
- POLS 2345 Urban Policies and Politics
- POLS 2357 Growth and Decline of Cities and Suburbs
- POLS 4937 Government and Politics Learning Abroad: Brazil in the 21st Century