Areas of Study
Public Law, Judicial Process, Comparative Constitutionalism, Comparative Judicial Studies
- “Judicialization of Politics in Europe: Keeping Pace with Strasbourg,” Journal of Human Rights, Vol. 11 (forthcoming, 2012).
- “Australia’s Commonwealth Model and Terrorism,” in Mary Volcansek and John F. Stack, Jr., eds., Courts and Terrorism: Nine Nations Balance Rights and Security (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011).
- Globalizing Justice: Critical Perspectives on Transnational Law and the Cross-Border Migration of Legal Norms. Albany: SUNY Press, 2010 (with Donald W. Jackson and Mary Volcansek).
- “Parliamentary Scrutiny of Rights in the United Kingdom: Assessing the Work of the Joint Committee on Human Rights,” Australian Journal of Political Science, 44 (2009).
- “Legal Controversies over Federal Judicial Selection in the United States: Breaking the Cycle of Obstruction and Retribution over Judicial Appointments,” in Kate Malleson and Peter H. Russell (eds.) Appointing Judges in an Age of Judicial Power: Critical Perspectives from around the World. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2006.
- “Judicial Review of Agency Interpretation of Statutes: Deference Doctrines in Comparative Perspective,” Policy Studies Journal, 31 (2003).
- American Government: Conflict, Compromise and Citizenship. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 2000 (with Christopher J. Bosso and John H. Portz).
- Courts of Admiralty in Colonial America: The Maryland Experience, 1634-1776. Durham: Carolina Academic Press, 1995 (with David R. Owen).
- State Constitutionalism in Maryland. New York and London: Garland Publishing, 1992.
Selected Professional Activities
- Visiting Scholar (2011), Center for the Study of Law and Society, Law School, University of California, Berkeley.
- Convenor (2000-2008), Research Committee on Comparative Judicial Studies (RC9 IPSA)
- Visiting Fellow, Wolfson College, Oxford University, 1996-1997
- POLS 3302 Judicial Process and Behavior
- POLS 4500 U.S. Constitutional Law
- POLS 4505 U.S. Civil Liberties
- POLS 4701 Political Science Senior Capstone
- POLS 7310- Administrative Law and Politics
- POLS 7253- American Constitutional History and Theory
- POLS 7355- Comparative Constitutionalism