Areas of Study
Public Policy and Administration, Education Policy, State and Local Government
- Leader-Managers in the Public Sector: Managing for Results. With Michael S. Dukakis. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, Inc., 2010.
- “Governance and the Boston Public Schools,” in Boston: A Decade of Urban School Reform, ed. by Paul Reville, Harvard Education Press, 2007.
- “Boston: Agenda Setting and School Reform in a Mayor-Centric System,” in Mayors in the Middle: Politics, Race, and a Mayor-Centric Approach to Urban Schools, ed. by Jeff Henig and Wilbur Rich, Princeton University Press, 2003.
- “Supporting Education Reform: Mayoral and Corporate Paths,” Urban Education, November 2000.
- City Schools and City Politics: Institutions and Leadership in Pittsburgh, Boston, and St. Louis. Lawrence, KS:University Press of Kansas, 1999 (with Lana Stein and Robin Jones)
- “Problem Definition and Policy Agendas: Shaping the Education Agenda in Boston.” Policy Studies Journal 24:3, 1996
- The Politics of Plant Closings. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 1990
Selected Professional Activities
- Department Chair, 2003-2011
- Fulbright Distinguished Scholar, Brazil, Fall 2011
- Watertown School Committee, Elected Member, 2006-present
Upcoming and Recent Courses Taught
- POLS 4701- Political Science Senior Capstone
- POLS 2355- Intergovernmental Relations
- POLS 7204- Seminar in Public Policy
- POLS 7306- Capstone in Public Policy and Public Management