Areas of Study
U.S. Health and Welfare Policy, Public Policy Analysis, Quantitative Techniques, Social Problem Fiction, Political Language, Community-Based Research
- (Senior author with Kevin P. Donnelly) Foreign Remedies: What the Experience of Other Nations Can Tell Us about Next Steps in Reforming U.S. Health Care (New York: Routledge, forthcoming 2011).
- (Editor) Quantitative Methods in Practice: Readings from PS (Washington DC: CQ Press, 2006).
- (Editor, with Robert Hackey, and contributor) The New Politics of State Health Policy. (Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2001).
- From Poorhouses to Homelessness: Policy Analysis and Mental Health Care, 2nd ed. (Westport, CT: Auburn House, 1997).
- (Senior Editor, with Roger W. Cobb, and contributor)The Politics of Problem Definition: Shaping the Policy Agenda. (Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 1994).
- (Editor and Contributor) Handbook on Mental Health Policy in the United States. (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1989).
- American Social Welfare Policy: Dynamics of Formulation and Change (Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1986).
- (Coauthor with Kevin P. Donnelly) “The Lessons of Lesson Drawing: How the Obama Administration Attempted to Learn from Failure of the Clinton Health Plan,” forthcoming Journal of Policy History, Winter 2012.
- “Agenda Setting,” in Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy, ed. Jack Rabin (New York: Marcel Dekker, 2005).
- “Mental Health Policy,” in Poverty and Social Welfare in America: An Encyclopedia, ed. Gwendolyn Mink and Alice O’Connor (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2004).
- “The Role of Anecdotes in Regulating Managed Care,” Health Affairs 17 (November/December 1998: 142-149
- (Senior author with Paula Goering) “‘More a Link than a Division’: How Canada Has Learned from U.S. Mental Health Policy,” Health Affairs 17 (September/October 1998): 110-127.
- “Mental Health Policymaking in the Intergovernmental System,” in Sociology of Mental Health and Illness, ed. A. V. Horwitz and T. L. Scheid (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1999).
Selected Professional Activities
- College of Arts & Sciences, Northeastern University, Distinguished Professor, first appointed in 2001
- Affiliated Faculty Member, Doctorate in Law and Policy, Executive Program. Northeastern University, 2007-2011
- Northeastern University Excellence-in-Teaching Award, June 1998; Renominated 2007, 2010
- Visiting Professor, Taubman Public Policy Center, Brown University, 2007-2010
- Founding Director, Northeastern University Community-Based Research Initiative (www.cbri.neu.edu)
- Practice-Oriented Education Award, Northeastern University, 2006
- Beverly Visiting Professor, The Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, fall 1999
- President’s Outstanding Service Award, Mental Health Association of Rhode Island, 1998
- Fulbright Scholar Award, University of Montreal, fall 1996
- Policy Analysis Consultant – Human Services Research Institute, Massachusetts Health Policy Forum, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, New Jersey Department of Human Services
- Statistical Training Consultant – U.S. Department of Environmental Protection
- POLS 2385- U.S. Health and Welfare Policy
- POLS 2400- Quantitative Techniques
- POLS 4948- Coomunity Based Research Practicum
- HONR 3342- Special Topic: Social Fact from Fiction
- HONR 3342- Special Topic: Mastering the Language of Public Affairs
- POLS 7202- Quantitative Techniques
- POLS 7203- Techniques of Policy Analysis
- POLS 7323- Mental Health Policy Analysis and Administration
- POLS 7328- Case Studies in Policy Analysis