JP Centre/South Main Streets Internship
Approximate Deadline: April 2014
JP Centre/South Main Streets Internship
Time Commitment: Part-Time (14-16 hours per week)
Spring Internship: January 15 – May 1 (accepting mid-semester interns)
Summer Internship: June 1 – August 15 (apply byApril 15)
Fall Internship: September 1 – December 15 (apply by August 1)
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to Executive Director, Andrew Zarrodirector@centresouth.org
Opportunity: JP Centre/South Main Streets seeks a part-time, unpaid intern to provide project support for the efficient and effective operation of the Centre/South Main Street district. As our Main Street Intern, you will get the chance to learn more about Main Street revitalization while helping local communities.
Job Summary: Execute the programmatic mission by assisting with regular activities of the Main Street Program that contributes to its goals. Promote the organization through assisting with the creation and distribution of communication materials about JP Centre/South Main Streets and the Boston Main Streets Program.
Duties & Responsibilities in Areas of Accountability
Specific Internship Project Duties
- Draft Centre/South Main Street’s monthly E-News;
- Assist with drafting and creating flyers for training and events;
- Assist with webinars and in-person trainings (as schedule permits);
- Assist with set-up of volunteer scheduling;
- Assist in management of the FirstThursday Art Walk program.
- Assist in management of the Pop Up Shop Project.
General Internship Project Duties
- Meet with the JP Centre/South Executive Director at the beginning of the internship to define specific project goals;
- Provide a brief bi-weekly report of work plan activities to your supervisor;
- Record your internship schedule on Google calendar and ensure it is kept up-to-date;
- Maintain appropriate documentation and computerized back-ups of your projects including meetings, contacts made, research, and status and final reports. Ensure that this information is organized and accessible to CSMS staff during and after internship;
- Provide timely response to requests from Executive Director and other CSMS Board/staff;
- Attend and participate in scheduled staff meetings;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Respect the confidentiality wishes of the organization;
- Complete a final report about internship experience to be reviewed at exit interview.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of general office operations;
- General computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office programs;
- Pleasant, tactful, detail-oriented, knowledgeable in working with stakeholders, staff, and other volunteers;
- Familiarity with PC systems and knowledge of HTML code desirable;
- Strong writing skills including proper spelling, word choice, and correct grammar;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others through cross communication, prioritization, and timely and accurate response and delivery;
- Ability to communicate effectively using a wide variety of media;
- Ability to accept direction, seek guidance, work independently, demonstrate initiative, and report results for the effective completion of projects;
Credentials & Experience
- Individual must have completed at least two years toward a Bachelor’s Degree;
- Experience in communications, social media, English (Spanish a plus);
- Interest in historic preservation;
- Interest in a career in downtown revitalization and to contribute your research toward the growth of JP Centre/South Main Streets.
About JP Centre/South Main Streets
Created by Mayor Thomas M. Menino in 1995 as the first urban, multi-district Main Street program in the United States, Boston Main Streets is devoted to the continued revitalization of Boston’s neighborhood commercial districts through design, technical, and financial support. Today, the nationally recognized program boasts 20 districts across Boston.
Incorporated as a 501(c)(3) in 2005, we’ve been working along the Centre and South Street corridors to promote and assist local businesses and enliven the streetscape for residents. In partnership with Boston Main Streets, we provide a direct conduit to the City of Boston and can provide technical assistance to help new businesses succeed.
We envision the Centre/South Business District to be a vibrant and funky, easily accessible, pedestrian friendly commercial district with a clean and attractive streetscape comprised of engaging public spaces and interesting storefronts filled with successful, mostly independent businesses.