Graduate Internship with the United Nations in the Executive Secretariat of the Group of 77
Approximate Deadline: February 2014
The Group of 77 is the largest intergovernmental organization of developing countries in the United Nations, which provided the means for countries of the South to articulate and promote their collective economic interests and enhance their joint negotiating capacity on all major international economic issues within the United Nations system and promote South-South coorperation for development.
The intern shall perform, inter alia, the following assignments:
Undertake research work and data collection on development issues relevant to the work of the G77 at the UN.
Prepare, edit and summarize outcomes of meetings convened at the UN.
Update databases, and work on various initiatives and projects by developing countries.
Attend, and prepare summaries of meetings, workshops and events on development issues at the UN.
Perform various office/administrative duties as required.
The United Nations Core Competencies include:
Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concsisely, good written and oral language skills.
Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different national and cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be clients and skees to to see things from a client point of view.
The intern is ecpected to have demonstrated a keen interest in the work of the United Nations and a personal commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter, and have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs,
To qualify for an internship with the Group of 77 at United Nations Headquarters in New York, the following conditions must be met:
1. Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or higher); or if pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages, have completed at least four years of full-times studies at a universit or equivalent institution towards the completion of a degree.
2. Be computer literate in standard software applications.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. Fluency in English, ie oral and written proficiency is required. Knowledge of another official United States language is an advantage.
This internship is full-time. Interns will work under the direct supervision of a Professional staff member of the Executive Secretariat. The internship is for a duration of 2 months with a possible extension up to 6 months, pending on the needs of the secretariat. Interested candidates should complete the Personal History Profile (PHP), including cover letter and send it to email@example.com.
The Cover Letter must include:
• Graduate Degree Programme (What are you currently studying?)
• Graduation Date (When will you be graduating from the programme?)
• List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
• List your top three areas of interest.
• Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
• Explain your interest in the United Nations. • Your dates of availability.
For questions regarding this internship opportunity and graduate requirements, please contact internship coordinator, Dr. Johannes Eijmberts (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Administrative Coordinator, Logan Wangsgard (email@example.com). INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME OF THE GROUPE OF 77 session of January 2014 PHP and CoverL