Professional Development Resources
Internships and Fellowships- Advice
Click here to view the powerpoint presentation from our November 18th graduate student information session on internships and fellowships in public policy.
- Free and Low-Cost Technology Resources | Presented May 17th | Click to view
Selected by Policy School staff as a good match with our students.
- Click here to go to the list of specific opportunities
- If you are an employer or sponsor of a particular type of opportunity and would like to have it posted in this section, contact Francisco Torres. Please note that opportunities posted on our website are focused on public policy, urban affairs, public administration, etc. If you have an opportunity that does not fit our focus, we recommend that you contact Northeastern University’s Career Services office.
Campus Resources for Students
- Career Services office at Northeastern
- NU Student Employment Office
- NU Co-Op Advisors
- Green Careers Guide
- Northeastern Nonprofit Careers Handout
- Guide to using LinkedIn for job searching
- Boston Job Source – Internships
- Policy Jobs
- Making the Difference – Federal Internships
- Simply Hired
- Public Service Careers
Jobs in Government
- Massachusetts Muncipal Association website
- Governor’s Office – List of Legislative or Government Internships in Massachusetts
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council website
- Jobs with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Jobs with the Federal Government
U.S. Office of Personnel Management
- USA Jobs
Jobs in Higher Education
- Job Openings at Northeastern
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Urban Affairs Association Urban-oriented academic positions
Jobs in Non-Profit Community Organizations
- Non-profit Jobs Cooperative
A service of the Executive Service Corps of New England
This is one of the most comprehensive websites for non-profit jobs in New England.
The largest non-profit jobs website in the world.
Great resource for more senior-level non-profit positions.
- CommonGood Careers
Primarily a non-profit search firm, CommonGood Careers’ website has many senior-level positions within social entrepreneur-type non-profits: BELL, City Year, Citizen Schools, JumpStart, TeachforAmerica, etc.
National Service Opportunities
AmeriCorps is the official federally sponsored domestic national service program. There are over 75,000 opportunities to serve in thousands of non-profit organizations and schools. Provides an AmeriCorps stipend rather than a salary, but also includes student loan deferment and AmeriCorps Education Award which can be used for future tuition or to repay student loans.
- Guide to Gap Years
NU’s Career Services office produced a guide to Gap Years that has a more complete listing of various national service opportunities.
Other Public Service Jobs and Opportunities
Job and career website sponsored by the three most prominent groups in professional public service careers and education — NASPAA, ASPA & APPAM. “Public sector” broadly defined as: Government, Nonprofits/NGOs, International, Consulting and Education
- Dialogue of Civilizations
Open to Northeastern University students of any major, the Dialogue of Civilizations is a series of “global student exchanges” between students at Northeastern University and students around the world. The goal of each program is (a) to connect NU students with their peers in different national, cultural, political, and social environments and (b) to provide NU students with a “global experience” that builds upon and enhances their academic studies and training in Boston.The “dialogue” in each country involves a series of meetings and discussions between students and local government leaders, community organizations, and their peers on various topics (politics, the arts, literature, popular culture, human rights, women and gender dynamics across cultures, etc.). The dialogue occurs within the context of two courses (8 SH), which have specific themes (language immersion, politics, economics, environmental studies, conflict negotiation, communication, etc.). These also involve lectures, site visits, and cultural events.
- Join NU faculty & students on 4-6 week programs abroad
- Dialogue with students from around the globe
- Earn Eight Credit Hours during Summer I or II
- Open to students of all majors
GSE Abroad offers study abroad programs for students to fully immerse them in their language studies.
Are you an employer? Would you like to post a job or get the word out to Northeastern students and/or alumni?
Contact Francisco Torres.