Experimental Particle Physics
PhD University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1979
Professor Alverson is a member of the CMS collaboration at CERN, the European Laboratory for Particle Physics. The CMS collaboration is currently taking data at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN which provides the world’s highest available energy collisions.
His specialty in recent years has been software, particularly three dimensional visualization of high energy events, but he has also done Monte Carlo simulation, data acquisition, and high-speed electronics.
1. Search for Resonances in the Dilepton Mass Distribution in pp collisions at √s = 7 Gev. By CMS Collaboration (S. Chatrchyan, et al.). JHEP 5:093, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/JHEP05(2011)093
2. Measurement of the Top Quark Mass in the Lepton+Jets Final State with the Matrix Element Method. By DØ Collaboration (V.M. Abazov et al.). Phys. Rev. D74:092005, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevD.74.092005
3. Measurement of the W Boson Helicity in Top Quark Decay at D0. By DØ Collaboration (V.M. Abazov et al.). Phys. Rev. D75:031102, 2007. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevD.75.031102
4. Measurement of Bd Mixing Using Opposite-Side Flavor Tagging. By DØ Collaboration (V.M. Abazov et al.). Phys. Rev. D74:112002, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevD.74.112002
5. Measurement of the CP-Violation Parameter of B0 Mixing and Decay with p anti-p→mu; μ X data. By DØ Collaboration (V.M. Abazov et al.). Phys. Rev. D74:092001, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevD.74.092001
5. Search for the Standard Model Higgs Boson in the p anti-p→ZH→ ν anti-ν b anti-b channel. By DØ Collaboration (V.M. Abazov et al.). Phys. Rev. Lett. 97:161803, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.97.161803