On October 29th eleven alumni and industry guests from the Boston area came to campus to share their experiences and wisdom with current students. Co-sponsored by the Department and the AAPS, the evening of networking a dinner started off with a four person panel, followed by an opportunity for students to move from table to take to speak with professionals about how they transitioned from student to professional. The panelist included Husain Attarwala from Alnylam, Gaauri Naik from Cubist, Shanthi Ganesh from Novartis and Malav Trivedi at A2 Corporation.
Other alumni present included Anand Deshpande, Kamaljeet Sandhu, Mayur Kalariya and Kshitija Wani. The 40 students who attended were thrilled and grateful for the insights and advice offered by alumni. Their comments included:
- “I had a wonderful night talking to many people and feel grateful for the invaluable chance to get to know more about the industry.”
- “After I talked with her, I have had more courage to face the challenges in the future. She is like a mentor that guides us and encourages us to face the future.”
- “Most inspiring were the words of Dr. Shanthi Ganesh who justified [sic] her thought of starting a career with a small scale organization which is best suited for a fresh graduate and then how to go about planning the career in order to climb up the ladder in the field.”
- “I learnt [sic] to introduce myself in few words trying to make a good impression which I succeeded as I kept alternating and articulating the introduction about myself. When I was introducing myself to the first person I met, I blabbered and spoke out the things [sic] that were unnecessary…By the time I met the last person…I had the perfect introduction to say.”
- “They shared with us their experiences and stories and it gave me consolidation [sic] that every beginning is tough and hard but with persistence and positive energy all can be achieved. The event was a great success and it gave me the push to keep going.”
All students in attendance expressed strong interest in additional events like this one. If you would be willing to join, please contact Nancy Waggner at email@example.com. In addition, if your place of work can use a skilled student intern from the Department, she can assist you with that.