Northeastern Parent Frequently Asked Questions

To post questions for other parents and to see what kind of questions parents are asking, log on to our Parent Corner Message Board!


General Questions

I have questions about registration and parking for Parent & Family Weekend.

View our list of Frequently Asked Questions for Parent & Family Weekend 2015.

Is there a safe alternative to my son or daughter walking alone on campus at night?

To ensure a student’s safe return to his or her residence hall, the Public Safety Division provides an escort service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Students are encouraged to call the Northeastern Police at 617.373.2121 or use the blue-box phones located throughout the campus. A uniformed officer is dispatched to the student as soon as possible. In most instances, the escort will arrive on foot. The Public Safety Division is located at 716 Columbus Avenue, Suite 100.

Can I order a birthday cake to be delivered to my student?

The Office of Parent Programs and Services works in conjunction with Wollaston’s, the campus grocery store, to offer specialty cakes for all occasions. Fill out an order form here.

How can my student get more involved in campus activities?

With more than 340 student organizations, nearly every possible interest is represented. Student groups are open to all students, though some have a membership selection process or membership requirements. However, most organizations are free of charge. Encourage your student to visit the Center for Student Involvement for more information.

Where can I park when I visit campus on the weekend?

Weekend guests of students can park their vehicles in the Renaissance Park Garage. The special guest rates start at 6:00 p.m. on Friday and end at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday night. The rates are as follows:

6:00 p.m. Friday through 6:00 p.m. Saturday: $8
6:00 p.m. Saturday through 11:59 p.m. Sunday night: $8

Any vehicle that enters the garage prior to 6:00 p.m. on Friday OR exits the garage after 11:59 p.m. on Sunday will be subject to the normal parking fee rate for the Renaissance Park Garage.


Health and Wellness

What counseling resources are available for students?

University Health and Counseling Services provides licensed psychologists and counselors who are sensitive to the many issues affecting college students. For more information, visit University Health and Counseling Services is located in 135 Forsyth. Another resource available to students is WeCare. WeCare is available to assist students experiencing unexpected challenges to maintaining their academic progress. For more information, visit



How do I know when my student is supposed to move in or move out of the residence halls?

Information and dates for moving in and out of the residence halls for freshmen, transfer students, upperclass students, graduate students, and law students are available online. View information and dates for move in.

What are the rates for the different types of housing accommodations?

Housing rates for Northeastern-owned property and leased property can be found here.

What types of accommodations are available for students with disabilities?

Our traditional residence halls, suite-style buildings, and apartment buildings contain living environments designed for students who have visible or hidden disabilities, chronic medical conditions, or who are deaf or hard of hearing. To request residence hall assignments that match your student’s specific needs, a Housing Accommodation Form has to be completed. The form must be completed by the clinician currently treating the student for the disability or the medical condition for which the request for accommodation is made. For more information and the form, please visit our Residential Life website.

Where can I get information on cable, dining, keyless locks, parking, pets, mail delivery, Internet access and e-mail, subleasing policies, and telephone services?

Information on any of these topics can be found here.


Student Financial Services and Student Accounts

Who do I contact if I have questions about Financial Aid scholarships or student employment?

Visit the Student Financial Services website or call student financial services at 617.373.3190.

Whom do I contact about tuition deadlines, fees, payments, or refunds?

The Office of Student Accounts can assist you with these matters. Please visit their website at, or contact them by phone or email at 617.373.2270 or

Will my student be charged for the university medical insurance even if he or she is already covered by another policy?

Visit the Registrar’s website for explanations, waiver details, and deadlines.

How can I put money into my child's Husky account?

Through your Parent Portal.

Is it possible to change a meal plan if my student decides it doesn’t fit with his or her schedule?

Yes. Students can change their meal plan by clicking here. They may change their meal plan during the first two weeks of each term.

How will I receive my student's bill?

Northeastern provides bills in an electronic format only. Students and parents can view and print the bill, get real-time account information, and make payments through the Parent Portal or the Student Portal.


Technical Assistance

Where can my student get help with computer problems?

The Information Technology Services website at is a comprehensive site addressing all student computer issues. The Call Center/Computer Help Line provides troubleshooting services over the telephone to students with computers that are connected to NUnet. Contact 617.373.HELP (ext. 4357 from a university phone) or email to get in touch.

The Help Desk, located in the InfoCommons in Snell Library, also provides walk-in assistance for computer-related issues to students, faculty, staff, and alumni with a valid NU ID.