Welcome to OSCCR
OSCCR CONDUCT CORNER
Greetings from the OSCCR office!
We hope you are enjoying your summer! This month’s Conduct Corner is focused on
your responsibilities as a Northeastern student.
Page 14 of the Undergraduate Student Handbook lists the following student responsibilities:
- To review and abide by the University’s Code of Student Conduct and University Policies and Procedures.
- To maintain their University e-mail address and respond to any Northeastern University notifications sent directly to the individual student.
- To maintain their local address information and update it at the beginning of each semester when they are an active student.
- To represent the University appropriately both on and off campus.
- To respect the differences of individuals and treat others in a civil and respectful fashion.
- To carry their University ID with them at all times and present it to officials when requested.
All of these expectations seem easy-to-follow and make sense in maintaining order on campus. Check your e-mail? Ok. Read the rules? Sure! Maintain your address and respond to e-mail? Makes sense. Carry your ID? Ok. Act appropriately on and off campus? I get that one, too.
However, what does it mean to “respect the differences of individuals and treat others in a civil and respectful fashion” though? This expectation is not as clear and easy to understand, but should not be overlooked. Sometimes as students, it is easy to get caught up in a bubble of self-interest. You are engaged in various activities to improve your resume and achieve great success. In Choosing Civility (2002), Dr. P.M. Forni explains that civility includes “courtesy, mutual respect, and fairness” and “taking an active interest in the well-being of our community and concern for the health of our society”. What have you done in the past few months to live up to this expectation? What can you do over the summer to contribute to our community? OSCCR has recently been tweeting good examples of community contribution using #smarthusky. I encourage you to start following us @OSCCR_NU and post your own #smarthusky examples. We’d love to see how this can grow!
Written by Brooke Tempesta, Assistant Director
I AM Northeastern!
The Pledge promotes a safe and peaceful living environment for students and neighbors and helps you better understand community issues in neighborhoods such as Mission Hill, Roxbury and the Fenway.
As a Northeastern student, I know that what I do and how I act, directly affects other members of the community, especially our neighbors. I pledge to represent the values of Northeastern in my actions, whether in interactions with fellow students, neighbors in our local community, or wherever my studies and co-op take me, whether here in Boston, around the country or all over the world. I AM Northeastern!
To learn more about the Northeastern Pledge - Click Here