Master of Professional Studies Geographic Information Technology Online
The fast-growing field of Geographic Information Technology includes techniques that may be applied across a wide range of disciplines and industries, from geography and archeology to urban planning and natural resources management.
The online Master of Professional Studies in Geographic Information Technology is a results-oriented program that explores a range of topics essential to the geographic information systems (GIS) field. These include everything from project management and system implementation to database design and execution. In addition to addressing these core competencies, this online graduate degree program is designed to improve each student’s technical expertise by explaining advanced concepts and techniques in areas such as raster-based GIS, geospatial information, and GIS modeling. It also offers hands-on GIS training that prepares graduates to competently apply their knowledge in their specific field of interest.
- Provide hands-on experience with software from ESRI, the industry leader in GIS
- Improve the understanding of Internet GIS
- Explore the fundamentals of remote sensing
- Secure foundational skills in project management, system implementation, database development, and implementation
- Evaluate the theoretical, mathematical, and computational foundations of GIS
- Learn to effectively interpret and apply geographic information
- Analyze cartographic principles
- Study the legal, economic, and ethical issues associated with GIS
- Examine practical applications of GIS to support geographic inquiry and decision making
In September 2014, Northeastern University received USGIF accreditation through the Master of Professional Studies in Geographic Information Technology program. The United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF) is the only organization dedicated to bringing together industry, academia, government, professional organizations and stakeholders to exchange ideas, share best practices and promote the education and importance of a national geospatial intelligence agenda. To view the courses that are USGIF accredited and learn how students can receive USGIF’s Geospatial Intelligence Certificate, view the checklist .