Office of Institutional Research and Data Administration
The mission of the Office of Institutional Research (OIR) is to provide accurate and meaningful information and analysis to University decision makers, the NU community, and external stakeholders in order to advance the University's mission and foster a culture of continuous improvement and institutional effectiveness.
The Office of Institutional Research supports planning, management, accreditation, and assessment activities at every level of the University. The OIR serves the University in several ways.
First, the office is responsible for maintaining a repository of integrated data and information in both electronic and print formats. Reports and data are made available as appropriate for internal and external use to describe various aspects of the University and support planning and management activities.
Second, analyses of extant data are conducted to inform policy and decision-making.
Third, the office administers various surveys to evaluate the experiences of community members and the programs and services offered by the University. As part of the survey research function, the OIR provides support and guidance to the University community regarding survey research.
Finally, the OIR is a key reporting entity for the University. It fulfills the University’s compliance reporting requirements both by directly submitting reports to external agencies and by supporting the compliance reporting functions of other University offices. The reporting function also includes dissemination of information and data through various outlets such as formal publications, guidebook reporting, and in response to both internal and external requests.
- Feeding back knowledge to inform and support decision-making, planning, and assessment so that the University is continuously improving
- Analytical services that transform data into useful and usable information
- Supporting University offices in their evaluation efforts
- Providing institutional support for survey research
- Fulfilling the University’s requirements for compliance reporting (many levels) and overseeing non-compliance reporting
- Assisting in the standardization of data to create uniformity and consistency
- Maintaining repository of institutional data used in planning and evaluation efforts
The Office of Institutional Research is located at 304 Columbus Place. Find us on the interactive campus map.