Northeastern University links
Massachusetts State links
- Massachusetts State Treasury – information on tax liability and forms for filing annual state taxes
- Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) – process for registering a motor vehicle and obtaining a driver’s license
- The Driver’s Manual, especially Chapter One: Obtaining Your License – application process for holders of international drivers licenses.
U.S. Government links
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security(DHS) is the U.S. umbrella agency for maintaining national security.
- DHS administers U.S. immigration policy through Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), which manages the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).
- The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is the web-based program DHS designed to track international student and scholar flows and status, managed by ICE.
- Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS), another branch of DHS, concerns itself with the benefits of immigration, including regulations for international students and scholars to work in the United States.
- Customs and Border Protection (CBP) reviews documents when international students and scholars arrive in the United States. You can print your electronic I-94 form at the CBP site.
The U.S. Department of State (DOS) interacts with international students and scholars
- through the Bureau of Consular Affairs that provides information on the travel process and processes visas at U.S. Embassies and Consulates around the world
- through the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), which strives to promote mutual understanding between the people of the United States and people around the world through information to potential international students (EducationUSA) and designation of exchange programs like Fulbright.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the U.S. tax collection agency. Please see information for Current Students. The Social Security Administration issues Social Security Numbers and cards as described in the Employment Resources page.