- Check the door locks to make sure they are functioning properly.
- Make sure your door has a deadbolt lock and a peephole.
- Become familiar with how your door locks operate, and remember to keep your door locked at all times.
- Whenever you leave your apartment, lock your door and take your keys.
- Check to make sure that all windows in your apartment are equipped with properly functioning locks and consider using riser restrictors for added security.
- If you have a sliding glass door, place a wooden rod in the door so it can’t be opened from the outside.
- Never "buzz in" someone you don’t know, and don’t allow strangers to follow you into the main entrance or to enter as you are leaving the building.
- Immediately report all suspicious activity, strangers loitering in or near the building or behavior by other residents or tenants that you feel presents a safety or security risk.
- To limit access to the building, do not prop open the front door.
- If the front door lock is not working, call the building owner or maintenance person to get it fixed.
- Do not allow anyone who is loitering or hanging out in front of the building to gain access.
- Always check to see who is at the door before opening it.
- Make sure that you know who has the master keys — that is who has access to your building apartments.
- Make sure all public areas of your building and walkways are well lighted.
- The mailboxes should be locked.
- Know who handles your maintenance. Hazardous situations should be handled immediately (snow, trash, burned-out lights).
- Know your neighbors.
- If you decide to walk alone, especially at night, use well-lighted, familiar streets. Never take poorly lighted shortcuts through alleyways or wooded areas where someone may be hiding.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Plan your route and walk with confidence. Avoid wearing earbuds or talking on the phone.
- Fire escapes are to be used for emergency exit use only.
- If your apartment and/or building does not allow you access to a rooftop or deck, please respect this limitation. It is in place because those areas are not deemed safe for occupancy. Click here for more information.