- Don’t leave your safety to chance. Be safe in your off-campus living environment.
- Check your smoke detectors once a month, and change the batteries at least once a year. NOTE: Carbon Monoxide detectors should also be installed and working properly, which is the responsibility of the property owner.
- Familiarize yourself with evacuation routes. Make sure you have a safe fire escape method for all situations. Does your landlord or homeowner have a ready plan? If you are unsure, consult.
- Make sure all roommates know what to do in the event of a fire. Draw a floor plan with at least two ways of escaping every room. Make sure the plan shows important details: stairs, hallways and windows that can be used as fire-escape routes.
- Test windows and doors. Are they easy to open? Wide and tall enough?
- Have a plan to get yourself and your roommates out: Yelling, pounding on walls, whistles, etc. Practice yelling “FIRE!”
- Leave the building immediately if you hear the fire alarm. In a fire, time is critical. Don’t waste time getting dressed, don’t search for pets or valuables. Just get out!
- Do not use the elevator during a fire.
- Roll out of bed. Stay low. One breath of smoke or gases may be enough to kill.
- Practice staying low to the ground when escaping.
- Feel all doors before opening. If a door's hot, leave another way.
- Learn to stop, drop to the ground and roll if clothes catch fire.
- Put emergency numbers in your phone.
- Fire escapes are for emergency exit use only. Students should not use fire escapes for any other purpose.
- If a fire threatens your home, you should not place the call to emergency services from inside. It is better to get out and place the call to fire authorities from a safe location outside the home.
- After a fire emergency, give first aid where appropriate. Seriously injured victims should be transported to professional medical help immediately. Stay out of the damaged building. Return only when fire authorities say it is safe.
- Consider renter’s insurance.
Rental Insurance - Protect your belongings!