Best practices for instructors:
- Use the Northeastern University Online standard course shell and PowerPoint lecture template with notes to provide consistency to your course.
- Give clear and detailed instructions on all assignments and provide a structured path through your course so students can focus on learning.
- Make your learning goals for each lesson explicit and ensure assignments and assessments serve these goals.
- Give students the benefit of your knowledge and experience by supplementing readings with real-world examples, analysis, and an emphasis on key points.
- Facilitate learning by providing formative and summative feedback that is timely, supportive, and relevant.
- Provide opportunities for students to utilize their prior knowledge and experience to add relevancy to the new knowledge and skills they are gaining.
What should you do next?
- Familiarize yourself with the training and technology resources you have available to you as an instructor at Northeastern University Online on this website.
- Contact your instructional designer for a consultation to discuss what tools and trends might help you achieve the outcomes you are looking for in your online course.