Kaltura is a powerful video sharing service that works directly in Blackboard. This tool will allow you to upload videos, capture your screen/lectures/instructor perspective and record from your webcam. The Kaltura video player is very robust and will allow your media to be easily viewed on all major browsers and on an iPad, iPhone, or Android device.
Note: Chrome browser users, please read the following before recording: Kaltura Screen Recorder in Google Chrome Version 42
The upgraded Kaltura media server now features:
- Video editing- Edit and trim your video content
- My Media- All of your recorded media now centralized in one area, whether added through Tools menu or Mashups
- Easier video uploading- Upload existing videos from your desktop
- Webcam recording- Create welcome messages, introductions, assignment instructions
- Screen recording- Record your desktop to create lectures and presentations
HOW TO USE IT
Visit the Blackboard support portal for Kaltura how-to documentation.
- Upload existing media into your course (document)
- Record from webcam (document)
- Record your desktop/screen (document, tips and tricks)
- Record your desktop/screen (for instructors to post for students) (document, video)
- Create video clips/trim video (document)
- View Media Gallery Analytics in Kaltura (formerly Course Media Reports) (document)
- Use Course Media Gallery/Featured Media Gallery in Kaltura (document)
- Record a Camtasia Relay Presentation and Upload to Kaltura (document)
- Recording with Kaltura and Posting to the Discussion Board (A good resource for student introductions) (video)
ARTICLE FOR REFERENCE
From the journal Internet and Higher Education: Borup, J., West, R.E., & Graham, C.R. (2011). Improving online social presence through asynchronous video.