Rubrics create a framework that saves time for the instructor, while providing students structured feedback for graded assignments. Student performances can be quantitatively measured and grades are validated using rubrics, which also helps to maintain communication in the learning environment. Rubric criteria should serve as a direct link to learning objectives and course outcomes.
Rubrics can be a checklist of items (Holistic) or a grid with descriptions of each level of performance (Analytic). We recommend Analytic Rubrics. Analytic rubrics include the following:
- A task description for the assignment
- A scale of some sort (levels of achievement).
- The dimensions of the assignment- a breakdown of the skills/knowledge involved in the assignment
- Descriptions of what constitutes each level of performance (specific feedback)
Below is a sample discussion board rubric.
Options for rubrics
- Students and instructors can use a rubric as a working guide provided to the students prior to the assignment, outlining how they will be graded on their work.
- A rubric can also serve as a final checklist for students, allowing them to reflect and become more self-directed learners.
- Final rubrics can be viewed as a formative assessment tool for instructors, giving them the opportunity to identify learning gaps and student needs and providing feedback to students based on performance.
is an organization within Blackboard that hosts a selection of rubrics that you are free to incorporate into your own courses and share with other faculty. Access the Assessment Basics org by logging into Blackboard, and under the My Organizations area, search for AQA_RUBRIC_REPO: Assessment Basics. The organization contains a learning module,Creating and Using Rubrics, which includes:
- A comprehensive lesson on creating and using Rubrics in Blackboard
- Rubrics that can be exported and imported to a Blackboard Course to edit for your specific purpose
- Rubric examples and additional resources
- Best Practices Guide: Using Rubrics
- Rubric Template: A template to help craft the rubric
- Building Rubrics in Blackboard: A video that walks through building your rubric in Blackboard