Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)
Home > Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)
Students will spend two days on the Boston campus in July participating in an orientation program designed to introduce them to N.U.in policies and procedures as well as increase familiarity with specific N.U.in locations, meet their fellow N.U.in participants, and meet the N.U.in staff. Workshops and sessions will include culture acclimation, safety and security while studying abroad, N.U.in policies, academic advising, goal-setting, and team building. N.U.in students will stay overnight in freshman dorms, and get their first taste of life on Northeastern’s campus.
Sample PDO Schedules (subject to change):
PDO is mandatory for all US citizens. Due to US visa regulations, international students are not required to attend this on-campus orientation program. International students will receive all necessary information through our website and email.
Registration is required, and each PDO session will fill up on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration is to be completed through the students' myNEU portals under the Self Service tab by May 11, 2012. Participants can choose one of the following sessions to attend:
- July 13-14
- July 19-20
For both 2012 PDOs, Registration will take place for participants and families in the Stetson West lobby beginning at 7:45am (#15 on the campus map). Please plan to arrive no later than 8:30am for registration so that you can enjoy a complimentary breakfast together before our official program begins at 9:30am. At registration, orientation materials will be distributed, and participants will check into student housing. Please note that on-campus housing is not provided for family members and that student housing is only for one night (July 13th for PDO I and July 19th for PDO II).
Parents are invited to participate in a special Parent Program that will take place on Day 1 of the PDO. Parents should plan to leave campus after the conclusion of the Parent Program, as the sessions planned on Day 2 are specifically for participants. For information on places to stay in the area, click here. Towels, bedding, and all meals will be provided for N.U.in participants. Breakfast and dinner will be provided for all registered family members on the first day of each orientation.
Participants are asked to please wear comfortable clothes and shoes and to bring a water bottle. Additionally, all participants must bring the following items:
- Photo ID for housing check-in
- Unofficial or photocopied documentation of all AP or IB score reports and transcripts of all college transfer credit. Please note that students must bring these documents in addition to submitting the official documentation to Admissions as their Northeastern Advisors will meet with them to review their N.U.in courses and determine if any academically necessary changes need to be made based on AP/IB/transfer information. Please verify that these are copies, as your Advisor will retain the copies for their records here at Northeastern.
Please note that for safety reasons, it is our policy that once participants check-in for the PDO, they must stay on campus for the entire program. Please do not schedule any activities or events that will take participants off campus or away from the required orientation activities. We recommend that participants and families continue to review the N.U.in website to familiarize themselves with location-specific information before attending the PDO so that they can come prepared with questions.
If you are driving to campus, please print the parking permit and instructions found here and place it on your dashboard while parked in the Columbus Parking Lot located beside the garage at 795 Columbus Avenue. Directions to campus can be found here.
For families unable to attend our Pre-Departure Orientations, we are including N.U.in Participant and Family PDO Packets, as they become available, here:
- N.U.in Australia Participant Packet
- N.U.in Australia Family Packet
- N.U.in Costa Rica Participant Packet
- N.U.in Costa Rica Family Packet
- N.U.in England Participant Packet
- N.U.in England Family Packet
- N.U.in Greece Participant Packet
- N.U.in Greece Family Packet
- N.U.in Ireland Participant Packet
- N.U.in Ireland Family Packet