Homestays are one of the most important parts of an N.U.in Costa Rica student’s experience, facilitating immersion in and adaptation to the new culture and language, and helping students to integrate into local society.
Host family relationships in Costa Rica tend to be closely-knit and supportive. ICDS has a strong network of families that have been working with the institution for years and have years of experience hosting students and making them feel like “a member of the family.” At the same time, they respect students´ private time and personal space. ICDS´ ample network allows us to assure that placements will take into account students´ specific needs and preferences in terms of family composition (children, people of their age, dogs, cats, etc…).
In order to insure that students will have great experiences with their host families, an ICDS Homestay Coordinator with experience in the selection of host families places students with an appropriate host family, according to what each student has indicated as his/her preferences in the enrollment paperwork.
Benefits of the homestay experience:
- Interacting daily with locals from the host country and host family
- Becoming a member of the family and building life-long bonds
- Experiencing, first-hand, the customs learned about in class
- Practicing a foreign language with native speakers in day-to-day life
- Inclusion of two authentic meals per day, Monday-Friday, and three meals on weekends
In preparation for the experience living with a Spanish-speaking host family, please review this guide of "Survival Spanish."For more information, please review this summary of "Living with a Host Family."