Jacqueline A. Isaacs
Associate Director, Center for High-rate Nanomanufacturing
Professor, Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
Professor Isaacs works with the Center for High-rate Nanomanufacturing (CHN) and leads the research thrust on societal implications of nanotechnology. CHN is an NSF funded Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center (NSEC), a collaborative effort among several university partners (Northeastern University, the University of Massachusetts, Lowell, the University of New Hampshire, and Michigan State University) and the Boston Museum of Science. The CHN was awarded one of two team Aspiration Awards at NU in 2005. Collaborations on societal implications have led to the formation of the Nanotechnology and Society Research Group. As the NU Education Coordinator for the CHN, Professor Isaacs helps to organize educational opportunities for students at various levels of education.
CHN includes summer research programs for teachers (RETs) and for undergraduates (REUs). The Museum of Science in Boston is partnered with CHN to teach K-12 students about nanomanufacturing. The Boston MOS has a continuing partnership with the Harvard NSEC, for which many learning modules on nanomaterialshave been created, and MOS has been selected to lead the Nanoscale Informal Science and Engineering (NISE) Network – to engage the public in issues related to nanotechnology .
- J. A. Isaacs and S. T. O’Donnell, “A World of its Own? Nanotechnology’s Promise – and Challenges, in C. J. Bosso, editor, Governing Uncertainty: Environmental Regulation in the Age of Nanotechnology (Earthscan Press, 2010), 12-27.
- J. A. Isaacs, A. Tanwani, M. Healy, L. J. Dahlben, “Economic Assessment of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Processes”, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, v. 12, no. 2, 551-562, 2010.
- M. Healy, L. J. Dahlben, and J. A. Isaacs, “Environmental Assessment of Single Wall Carbon Nanotube Processes”, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Special Issue in Nanotechnology, v. 12, no. 3, 376-39 3, 2008.
- Z. D. Ok, J. C. Benneyan, and J. A. Isaacs, “Risk Analysis Modeling of Production Costs and Occupational Health Exposure of SWNT Manufacturing”, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Special Issue in Nanotechnology, v. 12, n. 3, 411-434, 2008.
- S-J. Tsai, E. Adai, J. A. Isaacs, and M. J. Ellenbecker, “Airborne Nanoparticle Exposures Associated with the Manual Handling of Nanoalumina in Fume Hoods”, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, DOI 10.1007/s11051-008-9459-z, July, 2008.