Mission & Goals
The mission of the Nanotechnology and Society Research Group is threefold:
- Assess societal and policy challenges posed by nanoscale innovations and products;
- Evaluate federal, state, and local government capacity to address these challenges;
- Make policy-relevant recommendations for building requisite capacity.
The Nanotechnology And Society Research Group concentrates on the links between four areas of focus: Governance, Ethics, Environmental Assessment, and Outreach & Education, as defined below.
- Governance and Regulation – capacity of government institutions and actors to balance technological innovation with the promotion of public health and the environment.
- Ethics – the ethics and values dimensions of nanotechnology research, commercialization, and dissemination.
- Environmental Assessment – the impacts that the creation, use, and disposal of nanotechnology and nanotechnology-related products may have on the environment.
- Outreach and Education – translating and disseminating our research to an array of audiences, including students, faculty, journalists, policymakers, and the general public.