Marion Jackson’s airy, light-​​filled studio is filled with Brazilian art and sculp­ture. It sits on the third floor of a five-​​story, 100,000-square-foot indus­trial building in down­town Detroit that opened in 1927 to house the ser­vice depart­ment for Pon­tiac. The Corvette was later designed there. But that was before the U.S. auto industry declined, and the neigh­bor­hood became a waste­land of aban­doned buildings.

Read the article at The Atlantic →