Neural Circuit Tracer (NCTracer) is open source software for automated and manual tracing of neurites from light microscopy stacks of images.
Installation and System Requirements
NCTracer 4.0 is developed for Windows 7 and 8, 64-bit operating systems and requires a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. This version does not run on Mac or Linux OS.
To install NCTracer 4.0 download NCTracer_4_0.zip (~500Mb, updated May 09, 2014) and extract its components. Right-click on Setup.exe file and run it as Administrator. This will install four components: Java (jre-7-windows-x64), Java3D (java3d-1_5_2-windows-amd64), MatLab Runtime Compiler (MCR_R2013a_win64), and NCTracer (NCT_4_0). It is recommended that you install all four components even if some of these components are already present in your computer. To run NCTracer double-click on the NCTracer icon created on your desktop.
If you are unable to launch NCTracer 4.0, or unable to load/open an image stack, try the following steps:
1. Uninstall all versions of the NCTracer, Java(TM) 7 64-bit, Java 3D 1.5.2, and MATLAB Compiler Runtime 8.1.
2. Make sure you don’t have any older version of MATLAB Compiler Runtime installed.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Re-install NCTracer 4.0 with “Run as Administrator”. Make sure to install all the components.
5. Make sure that “mclmcr.dll” file was copied to “C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Compiler Runtime\v81\bin\win64” folder.
6. Go to Start and right-click on Computer. Go to Properties->Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables. Double click on Path in System Variables and make sure that it contains:
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Compiler Runtime\v81\bin\win64
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Compiler Runtime\v81\runtime\win64
Online Training demo is coming soon.