Media and Screen Studies can prepare you for a future in film or video production, network or cable TV, film distribution, advertising, or graduate work in cultural studies, media studies or film studies.
Students can major in Media and Screen Studies by combining the Media and Screen Studies and Cinema Studies half templates. No two courses can be duplicative if this is the case.
- Half-major template in Media and Screen Studies. MSCR Half-Major Template
- Half-major template in Cinema Studies. Cinema Studies Half-Major Template
Students also can take Media and Screen Studies as a half-major. Students typically apply to the combined major in the spring quarter of their freshman year. We offer a range of degree options for students that highlight the topics in the program:
- A combined major in Media and Screen Studies. Currently there are combined majors with Communication Studies, English, Journalism, Sociology, and Theatre. Students interested in creating new combined
majors should contact the director of Media and Screen Studies.
- A half-major template in Media and Screen Studies. This can be combined with any major that has a half template. MSCR Half-Major Template
- A half-major template in Cinema Studies. This can be combined with any major that has a half template. Cinema Studies Half-Major Template
Requirements for the combined majors are listed at the website of the University Registrar. Students can also explore options on myneu by doing a DARS self-audit (“explore options”). The combined majors are listed under IDSC (Interdisciplinary).
New and prospective students should choose the most recent catalog. Current students can check their progress by doing a degree audit at the undergraduate student portal.
Communication Studies majors who entered the program prior to fall, 2012 can fulfill the major requirements listed for the academic year in which the student entered the university.
Cinema Studies majors who entered the program prior to fall, 2012 can fulfill the program requirements listed for the academic year in which the student entered the program.
Students have the option of switching to Media and Screen Studies once combined majors are approved, or by combining two half major templates.