The International Affairs Program includes a number of specialists on the Middle East, North Africa, and the Mediterranean region – tenured faculty as well as full time and part-time: Professors Valentine Moghadam, Denis Sullivan, Dov Waxman, Tony Jones, Berna Turam, Peter Fraunholtz, Bilge Erten, Emily Cury-Tohma, and Shamiran Mako. Faculty are also longstanding members in the Middle East Studies Association of North America (MESA), and several faculty constituted the 2016 MESA Program Committee, chaired by Professor Moghadam and including Professors Sullivan, Jones, Turam, Cury-Tohma, and Mako. These faculty also teach an array of courses on the Middle East, North Africa, and the Mediterranean. Professor Moghadam is the Director of the Middle East Studies Program.

The Middle East Studies Program offers Middle East studies as a undergraduate minor. Middle East studies is also available as a concentration for International Affairs majors.

Please see below for information on both the concentration and minor, as well as links to the most current catalog of courses for the concentration and minor.

B.A. in International Affairs with a concentration in Middle East studies

The B.A. in International Affairs with a concentration in Middle East studies begins with a core set of 7 courses. This multidisciplinary set of courses includes coursework from international affairs, political science, anthropology, economics, and history.

Students are also required to select 4 Middle East regional analysis elective courses, two of which must be 2000 level or above. For example, students may choose to take international affairs courses like Politics of Islam and Gender or Democracand Development in North Africa and the Mediterranean, history courses like Modern Middle East or Introduction to Middle Eastern History, or culture courses like Introduction to Arabic Culture.

To provide students with a comparative perspective of global issues, students are required to complement their regional specializations by taking global dynamics courses, one of which must be POLS 1160: International Relations. Students can choose from a wide-range of global options in various disciplines, such as Women and World Politics, International Law or Global Human Rights.

For both regionals and globals, students can choose the disciplines that interest them. For example, if a student is very interested in history, he or she could select appropriate courses offered by the history department to fulfill the regionals and globals.

The final course required for the major in International Affairs is the Senior Capstone course, which is a senior research and writing seminar that integrates and assesses the knowledge and skills developed by students participating in the International Affairs curriculum, including both experiential and classroom-based components. Requires student self-reflection as well as new research, analysis, and writing, which culminate in a final paper and presentation.

International Affairs Majors must also complete an “International Semester” to gain international experience through either a traditional study abroad semester, two Dialogue of Civilizations summer programs, or an international co-op. At least one of these international experiences must be in a Middle Eastern country.

Students must also complete a foreign language requirement beyond the requirements for the Bachelor of Arts. Students will be required to demonstrate language proficiency through intermediate level II (four semesters of foreign language) in either Arabic or Hebrew.


The Minor in Middle East Studies

(Soon to be the Minor in Middle East and Mediterranean Studies)

The minor in Middle East Studies is an interdisciplinary program, drawing on courses in international affairs; political science; history; philosophy; religion; economics; anthropology; and languages, literatures, and cultures. The program provides an in-depth study of the Middle East, North African, and Mediterranean region, and aims to enhance students’ understanding of this culturally diverse and politically important region of the world.

Students are required to complete three required courses: either Introduction to Middle Eastern History or Modern Middle EastGovernment and Politics in the Middle East or Arab-Israeli Conflictand Middle East Studies.

Students are also required to complete two elective courses such as an Arabic or Hebrew language course, Democracy and Development in North Africa and the Mediterranean, America and the Middle East or courses from a Middle East or Mediterranean Dialogue, such as the Morocco-Paris Dialogue.

Click here to learn how to declare a minor in Middle East and Mediterranean Studies