PSM - Prospective Students
We accept students into the Professional Master of Science Program in Marine Biology for admission in the Fall Semester. The primary consideration deadline is February 1. Applications received after this date will be reviewed on a rolling admissions basis, provided there is space available.
- Applicants to the Professional MS Program in Marine Biology must have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- While we anticipate that the majority of students will enter the program with a Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Engineering, Environmental Science, Geology, or other related discipline, this is not an absolute requirement.
- Given the incremental and progressive nature of our curriculum, baccalaureates who have completed one year of introductory biology and two additional biology electives (Genetics and Ecology are both highly recommended) can succeed in this program. If you are not certain you have the appropriate background, please contact our office to discuss this further.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores must be submitted. For the GRE test, the Institution Code for Northeastern is 3682 and the Department Code for Marine Biology is 30. A GRE Subject Test is not required.
Additional Entry Requirements for International Students
- International students must demonstrate proficiency in writing and speaking English. We require the submission of an official TOEFL or IELTS score report.
- The minimum accepted score for the TOEFL computerized test is 250 (paper test equivalent is 600, new internet test equivalent is 100). For the TOEFL test, the Institution Code for Northeastern is 3682 and the Department Code for Marine Biology is 30.
- The minimum accepted score for the IELTS test is 6.5.
The Professional Masters in Marine Biology Program operates on a "pay-as-you-go" basis. The Professional Masters in Marine Biology Program offers no graduate assistantship positions to students in the program.
Tuition for the 2011-12 academic year is $1,025 per credit, and we expect tuition costs to increase for 2012-13 academic year. Currently, the total current tuition cost for this 15-month program is $45,100.
Room, board and lab fees for the first year of the program are $15,300. Room and board will vary during the second year, depending on the internship position and location. In some cases students can earn a salary that is sufficient to cover these costs.
For planning purposes, prospective students can download a for the Professional MS in Marine Biology degree program which includes an estimate of all additional expenses. The aggregate cost of this program can reach nearly $80,000 depending on your specific internship.
There are no scholarships, teaching assistant positions, or research fellowships for the PSM in Marine Biology Program. Students must finance the entire cost of the program.
Federal financial aid is available in the form of low interest government loans, for a current maximum of $20,500 per year, or $41,000 for the program’s duration. Details regarding financial aid can be obtained through Northeastern University’s office of
Additional funding is available through supplemental loans from several private educational loan companies found .