Faculty and Staff Connections

Interested in getting connected with other LGBTQA faculty or staff? A new group has started to gather -- you can join the mailing list by filling out THIS FORM

Are you currently an NU employee and have questions about policies or procedures that Human Resources Management has in place? Are you a prospective employee wondering about what Northeastern offers in the way of partner benefits? Here we have a repository of information that will hopefully answer many of your questions. (This information has been gathered from the Human Resources Management website. While we will do our best to keep this information current, we advise that you visit the HRM website or office for the most up-to-date policies and procedures.)

Employment and Benefits Questions

Current Job Postings


(For more information, please visit the Human Resources Management Benefits website)

Can I add my partner to my health or dental coverage? Yes! Same-sex partners of benefits-eligible faculty and staff are eligible for coverage under the university health and dental coverage, provided a Same Sex Spousal Equivalency Certification is on file with HRM/Benefits. Benefits-eligible faculty and staff may enroll their same-sex spousal equivalent when there has been a qualifying life event or during the annual open enrollment period

How do I add an adopted baby or child to my health or dental coverage? To add a child to health and/or dental plan coverage, employees need to complete a Benefits Enrollment form for their current health and/or dental plan. Forms are available on the HRM website and from HRM/Benefits, 250 Columbus Place. Completed forms must be received in HRM/Benefits within 30 days of the birth. If possible, a copy of the birth or adoption certificate should accompany the health/dental application. If not immediately available, please contact HRM/Benefits for instructions. At this time, employees may also want to review their medical/dependent care reimbursement account elections, as well as life insurance and retirement plan beneficiary designations.

Tuition Remission: (For more information, please read the full “Tuition Waiver Policy"

Will my partner be eligible for tuition remission? After full-time faculty/staff have completed three consecutive years of full-time employment at the University, tuition scholarships will be granted to spouses or Same Sex Spousal Equivalents (provided the Same Sex Spousal Equivalency Certification is on file with HRM Benefits) to the extent of one undergraduate or graduate course per term. The maximum hours per course are three. Any hours above that will be considered second course for Tuition Waiver purposes. One-half of the tuition cost will be waived for additional courses taken at the same time as the covered course. Benefits begin at the start of the term in which the three-year waiting period is met.

What about my children or my partner’s children? Dependent children of full-time faculty/staff members are granted full tuition scholarships after the parent (faculty/staff member) has been employed on a full-time basis for three consecutive years. Benefits begin at the start of the term in which the three-year waiting period is met. Dependent children must qualify for admission to one of the programs leading to a degree in any of the University's colleges or graduate schools, up to, and including the master's degree. Tuition waiver forms submitted for dependent children must be accompanied by a Dependent Certification Form. This form certifies that the student meets the definition of a dependent and further certifies that the student was listed as a dependent on the employee's most recent federal tax return. In all cases, dependent children refers to unmarried sons, daughters, stepchildren and legally adopted children who are claimed as your dependents or a dependent of your Same Sex Spousal Equivalent (provided the Same Sex Spousal Equivalency Certification is on file with HRM) on the IRS tax returns. Dependent children must remain a dependent during their entire course of study. Proof of dependency status will be required.

Name Change: If an employee's name changes, she/he/ze should contact HRM to complete a Change of Information form, and the Information Systems department to have his/her/hir system account name changed.  If employees wishes to use a preferred name without changing their legal first name, they may do so through the myNEU portal.  To do so:

  • Log on to myneu.neu.edu
  • Click on the "Services and Links" tab
  • Under HRM Services, click on "Employee Self Service"
  • In the new window that opens, click on the "Personal Information" tab
  • Click "Preferred First Name"

This will change the appearance of an employee's first name in many, but not all, systems on campus.  If you email address does not update automatically, you may need to call the Help Desk at x4357 for assistance.  Additional systems that you will need to update by contacting their administrators are the Student Employment Portal and the Sponsored Account Registration Form.  Please note that you will not be able to change the name on your ID card until you have legally changed your name.

Bias Incidents and Administrative Support

(The following information has been gathered from the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity webpage. While we will do our best to keep this information current, please visit their website for the most up-to-date policies and procedures.)

Equal Opportunity Policy: (.pfd version) Northeastern University is committed to providing equal opportunity to its students and employees, and to eliminating discrimination when it occurs. Northeastern University does not condone discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, genetics, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, veteran  or disability status. Moreover, the University will not ignore any form of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment of any member of the Northeastern community. Nor will Northeastern condone any form of retaliatory activity against any person who brings a complaint of discrimination or harassment, or who cooperates in a complaint investigation. Copies of the University’s nondiscrimination policies and its grievance procedures are available in the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity, 125 Richards Hall. 

Bias Incident Protocol: The protocol offers an effective and efficient process for individuals and/or groups to report bias incidents and/or hate crimes. It also outlines University procedures that will be instituted to respond to such acts. The protocol should be implemented whenever a bias incident or hate crime is perceived or suspected to have occurred on Northeastern University’s campus and/or in our educational programs. For more information, read the Bias Incident Protocol in full.

Grievance Procedure: (Full text) The Dean of Institutional Diversity and Equity and/or his designee are responsible for handling questions and concerns regarding the University's non-discrimination/affirmative action policies. All reasonable efforts shall be made to maintain information concerning complaints, investigations and resolutions on a confidential, need-to-know basis. The University reserves the right to address any behavior it considers inappropriate or inconsistent with the University expectations, standards or values, even though such behavior may not rise to the level of discrimination pursuant to this policy or under state or federal law.