About the Center
Our Mission: The LGBTQA Resource Center aspires to create an inclusive community by instilling a culture of respect, advocacy and empowerment throughout Northeastern. We initiate and sustain co-curricular programs and services that enrich the holistic development of our lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, asexual, and ally students. Recognizing the multiple identities that LGBTQA individuals hold, we actively work to build an anti-racist, socially just movement where all are welcome. Through dialogue and support services, we strive to increase the visibility of and enhance LGBTQA student life on campus.
We define our key focus areas as:
Respect: Cultivate feelings of deep admiration and appreciation for LGBTQA members of campus and their allies.
Advocacy: Provide tools and resources for aspiring allies to be part of a campus-wide system of support for the LGBTQA community.
Empowerment: Encourage the growth and development of LGBTQA and ally students to be leaders in all areas of the University.
As a department in the division of Student Affairs, we work to meet our divisional literacies, which seek to integrate the co-curricular experience of student life into an individual's overall development and education. Those literacies are:
Civic and Community Engagement
Working toward these key areas and literacies, the Center has the following goals:
- Increase general awareness of LGBTQA issues and provide basic LGBTQA education.
- Create social outlets for interaction between LGBTQA people, their allies, and those unfamiliar with the LGBTQA community.
- Provide advanced training about coming out resources and how to interrupt homophobia and heterosexism.
- Offer opportunities for faculty, staff, and students to become more involved in LGBTQA initiatives on campus.
- Create a campus-wide network of trained faculty and staff members who understand how their area can specifically address LGBTQA student needs.
- Advise and support NU Pride and its leadership.
- Cultivate meaningful experiences for LGBTQA students to hone skills of leadership and community development.
- Provide opportunities for students to connect with local community organizations.