sara hardingI had the pleasure of speaking with a Level alum, Sara Harding, about her experience at Level. Take a look at what she has to say:

What made you decide to enroll in Level?
Before Level, I worked as a high school math teacher. When I decided to leave teaching, I started looking for new jobs and hoped my math major would help me get a job in the data analytics field. I soon realized that I didn’t have the technical skills needed for the kinds of roles I was looking for. I tried learning Excel, SQL, and R on my own online, but since I hadn’t done many real projects with them, I couldn’t confidently say that I had those skills. I enrolled in Level because I wanted to say without doubt that I knew how to use those technical skills to work on real analytics projects. I also liked that with the full-time program, I could gain those skills in only 8 weeks, much faster than I would be able to on my own.

What did you want to get out of Level?
I was hoping to use new skills to work on analytics projects in a variety of contexts. I liked that I would also be able to see how analytics is used across industries so I’d be able to get a better idea of what type of company I wanted to work for. I was especially excited about the Capstone Project because it meant that I’d be able to get to know a real company and work on a real project. I knew that I would feel much more confident in my skills after completing the Capstone successfully.

Did Level help you change your career the way you wanted to?
Definitely! I now work at Ellevation Education as a Data Integration Specialist. I use Excel and SQL regularly and feel comfortable using them because of Level. While I don’t use R or Tableau, I do use Python and Google Data Studio often. Since I already had experience quickly learning new skills in Level, I felt comfortable picking up new software and tools in my new job.

What’s next for you after Level?
I’m interested in transitioning to a Business Intelligence or Data Science position down the road, but for now I’m happy in my new position. I’m still learning new things everyday.

As a Level graduate, what advice do you have for current and future students?
Level is a great opportunity to help you get a better picture of what you want from a career. Pay attention to which technology and skills you like using the most and which types of projects interest you. You can also learn a lot by talking to classmates and guest speakers about their experiences.

We want to thank Sara for speaking to us about her Level experience! You can read about our upcoming data analytics programs here.