Workshops organized by the Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning Through Research provide a hands-on opportunity for faculty to delve into a specific topic, issue, or approach in teaching and learning. Led by one of your colleagues at CATLR, the events offer the opportunity to try out or work on an aspect of your course along with your colleagues both within and outside of your field. This interdisciplinary environment provides the opportunity to look at a variety of approaches to what is being discussed.
Workshops are interactive sessions, typically 90-minutes in length, facilitated by CATLR colleagues for Northeastern University instructors. In addition to our open workshop schedule, CATLR designs and facilitates workshops for departmental groups.
Contact Dr. Cigdem Talgar (email@example.com) if you are interested in discussing a customized workshop.
Fall 2013 Workshop Schedule
All workshops are single sessions. Each is offered twice.
Click a date to read a full workshop description and to register for that session.
- September 17 and September 19—Leading Effective Discussions
- September 24 and September 26—Thinking Like Adults: A Model for Understanding the Ways Students Think
- October 1 and October 3—Values in Teachers, Values in Teaching: The Teaching Goals Inventory
- October 7 and October 8—The Course Syllabus: A Critical Analysis
- October 15 and October 17—Introduction to Student Learning Outcomes Assessment
- October 21 and October 22—How to Demonstrate our Students are Learning Using Assessment Methods
- October 28 and October 31—”Flipping” the Classroom
- November 5 and November 7—Using E-Portfolios to Support Integration of Learning
- November 12 and November 14—Team-Based Learning: Group Work That Works
- November 19—Grant Writing for Teaching and Learning
- November 25 and November 26—Active Learning in Large Classes