An LLM with Real-World Impact
The future of legal education for the past 45 years, Northeastern University School of Law educates both our JD and LLM students through academically rigorous coursework integrated with our signature Cooperative Legal Education Program (co-op). The unparalleled leader in providing students with practical experience, only Northeastern offers LLM students the chance to participate in a full-time co-op and graduate with polished legal skills, valuable connections in your field and confidence in your chosen field of expertise.
As an LLM student, you'll tackle real-world legal issues while acquiring the foundational knowledge and practical skills you need to become a real-world practitioner with impact. The Northeastern LLM program features:
- A General Program with maximum flexibility to let you take the courses you want and need — to qualify for a US bar exam or to do whatever you choose as a lawyer who wants to make a difference
- An Executive LLM Program with a flexibile schedule and a manageable time frame of 9 to 24 months to complete 2 on-campus terms and 1 on-line term
- A concentration in Health Policy and Law to equip you with the knowledge and practical skills you need for one of today’s hottest practice areas
- A concentration in Human Rights to prepare you to take on the global challenge of rights abuses
- A concentration in International Business Law to aid you to practice in the complex and constantly evolving world of business across national borders
- A concentration in Law and Economic Development to position yourself as a lawyer working in support of economic development
- A two-year dual degree LLM+MBA — an unbeatable pair of credentials for commercial lawyers from two of Northeastern’s premier colleges, the School of Law and the D’Amore-McKim School of Business
- A two-year dual degree LLM+MA in Sustainable International Development — the School of Law and the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University prepare you to explore the legal challenges of poverty, pollution and public health
All qualified students have the unparalleled opportunity to complete a full-time legal practice experience as an integral part of the LLM curriculum. Placement opportunities may include law firms, companies, clinics, courts, government agencies, community organizations or advocacy groups. Guided by the LLM Professional Development Advisor, Meredith Aherne, you'll define your professional objectives and identify a co-op opportunity that meets your unique goals.
LLM students have an opportunity to undertake an independent research project in an area of law they are interested in exploring and complete a research paper under the guidance of a Northeastern law faculty member, either in conjunction with an upper-level seminar or as independent study.