News and Events
News and Events
- December 2, 2013: Brook Baker quoted in the article, "Canada must learn from NAFTA legal battles"
- November 7-8, 2013: 2013 PHRGE Human Rights Institute: “Human Rights and Violence Against Women: Applying the Due Diligence Framework.”
- Want more information? See our Institute concept note to learn more about this event
- November 1-2, 2013: PHRGE to speak on Millennium Development Goals and Human Trafficking at Millennium Campus Conference to be held at Northeastern!
- October 29th, 2013: On Fellow Talk: Seth Purcell explains that the Syrian human rights crisis continues, despite the progress on chemical weapons
- October 22nd, 2013: PHRGE hosted Sudanese hip-hop sensation, Emmanuel Jal, for a conversation on "Hip-Hop and Human Rights" as part of "A Week for Peace with Emmanuel Jal," hosted by Northeastern University's Humanities Center.
- October 18th, 2013: PHRGE Fellow Kirsten Blume blogs about her experience in Geneva, Switzerland at the UN Human Rights Committee Hearings. Blume is attending the hearings as part of her co-op at NLCHP
- October 9th, 2013: New NLCHP webinar on human rights advocacy through ICCPR.
- September 19th, 2013 PHRGE Post-Grad Fellow, Duygu Sener's, latest post on RIGHTSCAPES, "Prelude to an Extradition?"
- September 9th, 2013: PHRGE 2013 Institute Co-Convenor Margaret Drew of DVI published an editorial entitled, "Victim deserved court's protection" on the implications surrounding the Water's case.
- August 18th, 2013 New PHRGE Blog, RIGHTSCAPES, features Prof. Martha Davis on the Federal Court decision on the Oklahoma "sharia law" amendment.
- July 31st, 2013: PHRGE, in conjunction with the Latin American Law Student Association, and Northeastern School of Law’s International Law course, will be presenting "Granito: How to Frame a Dictator." A Documentary about the charging of former dictator Efraín Rios Montt with genocide for his brutal war against the country’s Mayan people in the 1980's.
- July 3, 2013: Martha Davis on Radio Boston: "Abortion Clinics and Buffer Zones"
- May 29, 2013: PHRGE Fellow Stephanie Gharakhanian was featured in news@Northeastern. The article profiles her work at ProDESC in Mexico City as a PHRGE fellow.
- May 17-19, 2013: PHRGE Executive Director Kevin Murray moderated a gathering of drug policy reform activists in Bogotá, Colombia, at the same time the Organization of American States issued a new report on drug policy reform in Latin America. An article about the report is available here.
- May 17, 2013: PHRGE Faculty Co-Director Martha Davis delivered a talk at Lund University in Sweden on the role of human rights in the United States.
- April 22, 2013: Panel Discussion: "What Now? School Assignment and Quality in the Boston Public Schools" This public event brought together community leaders, a human rights expert and a senior administrator of the BPS to consider what a human rights perspective brings to the contentious public discussion about school assignment in Boston.
- April 3, 2013: PHRGE launched a Fellow blog entitled "Fellow Talk" which allows current and former fellows to share their experiences of fellowships domestic and abroad.
- March 27, 2013: Philip Alston of New York University School of Law delivered the 2013 Valerie Gordon lecture on "Protecting Social Rights: Is the UN Doing Its Job?"
Each year PHRGE hosts an institute on cutting edge economic, social and cultural rights issues, bringing together scholars and practitioners to debate such topics.