Select research and publications by core and affiliated faculty and researchers in health policy and law:
Professor Aziza Ahmed
- “We have the right not to be ‘rescued’…”*: When Anti-Trafficking Programmes Undermine the Health and Well-Being of Sex Workers, 1 Anti-Trafficking Review 149 (2012) (with Meena Seshu)
- "Criminalising Consensual Sexual Behaviour in the Context of HIV: Consequences, Evidence and Leadership," 6 Global Public Health 357 (2011) (co-authored)
- "Feminism, Power and Sex Work in the Context of HIV/AIDS: Consequences for Women’s Health," 34 Harvard Journal of Law and Gender 226 (2011)
- "HIV and Women: Incongruent Policies, Criminal Consequences," 6 Yale Journal of International Affairs 32 (2011)
- "Protecting HIV Positive Women’s Human’s Rights: Recommendations for the Obama Administration," 17 Reproductive Health Matters 127 (2009) (with Hanssens and Kelly)
- "Answering the Millennium Call for Universal Health: Eliminating User Fees," (with Hall and Swanson) 12 Yale Human Rights and Development Law Journal 62 (2009)
- "Dual Subordination: Muslim Sexuality in Secular and Religious Legal Discourse in India", Paper 7 Muslim World Journal of Human Rights 4.1 (2007)
Professor Brook Baker
- "The U.S. Proposal for an Intellectual Property Chapter in the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement," 28 American University International Law Review 105 (2013). (with Sean M. Flynn, Margot Kaminski & Jimmy Koo)
- Sean Flynn, Margot Kaminski, Brook Baker, Jimmy Koo, "Public Interest Analysis of US TPP Proposal for an IP Chapter," American University International Law Review, (accepted for publication 2012)
- "Empowering patients and strengthening communities for real health workforce and funding targets," WHO Bulleting Roundtable Paper (accepted for publication 2013)
- "Corporate Power Unbound: Investor-State Arbitration of IP Monopolies on Medicines – Eli Lilly and the TPP," PIPIJ Research Paper Series, Paper 36 (2013)
- "Debunking IP-for-Development: Africa Needs IP Space Not IP Shackles," (accepted Second African International Economic Law Network conference book 2013)
- "Achieving Social Justice in the Intellectual Property Debate: Realising the Goal of Access to Medicines," Yousuf Vawda & Brook Baker, Africa Human Rights Law Journal (accepted 2013)
- "Settlement of India/EU WTO Dispute re Seizures of In-Transit Medicines: Why the Proposed EU Border Regulation Isn’t Good Enough," PIJIP Research Paper Series, 2012.
- Jen Cohn, David Holtzman & Brook K. Baker, "Efficiencies in AIDS Programming: The Rhetoric and the Realities," 58 J. AIDS 228-31 (2011)
- "ACTA: Risks of Third-Party Enforcement to Access to Medicines," 26 American University International Law Review 579-599 (2011)
- "Letter – Effect of development assistance on domestic health expenditures," 376 Lancet 589-590 (2010)
- "The Impact of the International Monetary Fund’s Macroeconomic Policies on the AIDS Pandemic," 40 International Journal of Health Services 347-363 (2010)
- Jennifer Cohn & Brook K. Baker, "Obstacles and Opportunities on the Road to Universal Access to ARVs," 7 Current HIV/AIDS Reports 161-167(2010)
- Jennifer Cohn, Asia Russell, Brook K. Baker, Alice Kayongo, Esther Wanjiku, Jael Amati, PaulDavis, "Using Global Health Initiatives to Strengthen Health Systems: A Civil Society Perspective, Global Public Health 1-16 (2010)
- "WHO Positive Synergies Civil Society Research Group, Interactions Between Global Health Initiatives and Health Systems – Evidence from Countries" (2009)
- "Patents, Pricing, and Access to Essential Medicines in Developing Countries," 11 AMA J. Ethics – Virtual Mentor 527-32 (July 2009)
- "World Health Organization Maximizing Positive Synergies Collaborative Group," An Assessment of interactions between global health initiatives and country health systems, 373 Lancet 2137-69 (June 20, 2009)
- Brook K. Baker & Eva Ombaka, "Viewpoint – The Danger of Drug Donations (In-Kind Contributions) To the Global Fund – Adverse Market and Therapeutic Effects," 373 Lancet 1218-21 (2009)
- "Ending drug registration apartheid – taming data exclusivity and patent/registration linkage," 34 American Journal of Law & Medicine, 303-344(2008)
- David McCoy, Sara Bennett, Sophie Witter, Bob Pond, Brook Baker, Jeff Gow, Sudeep Chand, Tim Ensor, Barbara McPake, Gavin George, "Health worker salaries and incomes in sub-Saharan Africa," 371 Lancet 675-681 (2008)
- Gorik Ooms, Wim Van Damme, Brook K. Baker, Paul Zeitz, Ted Schrecker, “The ‘diagonal’ approach to Global Fund financing: a cure for the broader malaise of health systems?" 4 Globalization & Health 6 (2008)
- "Drug Registration Barriers and Logjams, in Missing the Target #5: Improving AIDS Drug Access and Advancing Health Care for All," 49-58 (ITPC Dec. 2007)
- "Placing Access to Medicines on the Human Rights Agenda in The Power of Pills: Social, Ethical & Legal Issues in Drug Development, Marketing & Pricing," 239-248 (Jillian Clare Cohen, Patricia Illingsworth & Edo Schüklenk eds., 2006).
- "Processes and Issues for Improving Access to Medicines: Willingness and Ability to Utilize TRIPS Flexibilities in Non-Producing Countries," U.K. Dept. for Int’l Development, Health Systems Resource Centre (September 2004)
- "Arthritic Flexibilities for Accessing Medicines, Analysis of WTO Action Regarding Paragraph 6 of the Doha Declaration on the TRIPS Agreement and Public Health," 14 Indiana International & Comparitive Law Review 613-715 (May 2004).
- "Working Paper: Analysis and Response to Recent WTO Action Regarding TRIPS Agreement and Public Health, United Nations Millennium Development Goals Project, Task Force 5: Infectious Diseases and Access to Essential Medicines" (Dec. 2003).
- "Teaching Legal Skills in South Africa: A Transition from Cross-Cultural Collaboration to International HIV/AIDS Solidarity," 9 Journal of Legal Writing Institute 145-183 (2003).
Professor Leo Beletsky
- "Police Education as a Component of the National HIV Response: Lessons from Kyrgyzstan," Drug Alcohol Depend. (In press) (with Thomas R, Shumskaya N, Artamonova I, Smelyanskaya M)
- "Police officers’ and paramedics’ experiences with overdose and their knowledge and opinions of Washington State’s drug overdose-naloxone-Good Samaritan law," J Urban Health (In press)(with Banta-Green CJ, Schoeppe JA, Coffin PO, and Kuszler PC)
- "Syringe access, syringe sharing, and police encounters among people who inject drugs in New York City: A community-level perspective" International Journal of Drug Policy (In press)( Heller D, Jenness S, Neaigus A, Gelpi-Acostae C, Hagan H.)
- "Reducing the Health Consequences of Opioid Addiction in Primary Care," American Journal of Medicine (In press) (with Bowman S, Eiserman J, Beletsky L, Stancliff S, Bruce D.)
- "Syringe Confiscation as an HIV Risk Factor: the Public Health Implications of Arbitrary Policing in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico," Journal of Urban Health 2013;90(2):284-98 (with Lozada R, Gaines T, et al.)
- "Access to Syringes for HIV Prevention for Injection Drug Users in St. Petersburg, Russia: Syringe Purchase Test Study," BMC Public Health. 2013;13:183. (Fedorova EV, Skochilov RV, Heimer R, Case P, Grau LA, et al.)
- "Policy Reform to Shift the Health and Human Rights Environment for Vulnerable Groups: The Case of Kyrgyzstan’s Instruction 417," Health and Human Rights Journal 2012;14(2):e1-e15
- "Prevention of Fatal Opioid Overdose," JAMA 2012;308(18):1863-1864 (Beletsky L, Rich J, and Walley AY.)
Professor Michael Bennett
- "The Next Chapter of the Tobacco Wars: Unpacking the Latest Round of Constitutional Challenges," 103 American Journal of Public Health e11 (2013)
Professor Richard Daynard
- “Beyond Cheeseburgers: The Impact of Commonsense Consumption Acts on Future Obesity-Related Lawsuits,” 68 Food and Drug Law Journal 229 (2013)
- “Regulatory Approaches to Ending Cigarette-Caused Death and Disease in the United States,” 39 American Journal of Law and Medicine 290 (2012)
Professor Patricia Illingworth
- Jillian Cohen, Patricia Illingsworth, and Udo Schuklenk, Eds., "The Power of Pills: Social, Ethical and Legal Issues in Drug Development, Marketing and Pricing," Pluto Press (2006)
Professor Kristin Madison
- "Donabedian’s Legacy: The Future of health Care Quality Law & Policy," Indiana Health Law Review Vol. 10.2 (2013)
- Kristin Madison, Harald Schmidt & Kevin G. Volpp, "Smoking, Obesity, Health Insurance, and Health Incentives in the Affordable Care Act," JAMA (forthcoming 2013)
- "From HCQIA to the ACA: The Evolution of Reporting as a Quality Improvement Tool," 33 J. LEGAL MED. 63 (2012)
- Kristin M. Madison, Kevin G. Volpp and Scott D. Halpern, “The Law, Policy, and Ethics of Employers’ Use of Financial Incentives to Improve Health,” 39 Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 450 (2011)
- “The Law and Policy of Health Care Quality Reporting,” 31 Campbell Law Review 215 (2009)
- “Regulating Health Care Quality in an Information Age,” 40 University of California-Davis Law Review 1577 (2007)
Professor Kara Swanson
- "Adultery by Doctor: Artificial Insemination," 1890-1945, 87 Chicago-Kent Law Review 591 (2012)
- "The Birth of the Sperm Bank," 71 The Annals of Iowa 241
Professor Wendy Parmet
- "Holes in the Safety Net - Legal Immigrants' Access to Health Insurance," The New England Journal of Medicine (2013)
- "Valuing the Unidentified: The Potential of Public Health Law," 53 Jurimetrics J. 255–277 (2013)
- "Solidarity for Global Health" (with Patricia Illingworth), 26 Bioethics ii (2012).
- Debates on US Health Care, Sage Publications, 2012, Jenni Jacobs Kronenfeld, Wendy E. Parmet, Mark A. Zezza, (eds)
- “Restoring Legal Immigrants' State Health Insurance- the Finch Case,” 7 Boston Health Law Reporter 6, 2012
- "Beyond Externships: Health Law Co-ops," 9 Indiana Health Law Review 401 (2012)
- "Pandemics, Populism and the Role of Law in the H1N1 Vaccine Campaign," 4 St. Louis University Journal of Health Law & Policy 113 (2010)
Professor Richard Wamai
- Morris BJ, Wamai RG. Biological basis for the protective effect conferred by male circumcision against HIV infection. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2012; 23: 153–159.
- Morris BJ, Bailey RC, Klausner JD, Leibowitz A, Wamai RG, Waskett JH, Banerjee J, Halperin DT, Zoloth L, Weiss HA, Hankin CA. A critical evaluation of arguments opposing male circumcision for HIV prevention in developed countries. AIDS Care 2012, Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wamai RG, Ayissi CA, Oduwo GO, Perlman S, Welty E, Manga S, Ogembo JG. Assessing the Effectiveness of a Community-Based Sensitization Strategy in Creating Awareness About HPV, Cervical Cancer and HPV Vaccine Among Parents in North West Cameroon. Journal of Community Health 2012 Feb 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ayissi CA, Wamai RG, Oduwo GO, Perlman S, Welty E, Welty T, Manga S, Ogembo JG. Awareness, acceptability and uptake of human papilloma virus vaccine among Cameroonian school-attending female adolescents. Journal of Community Health 2012 Mar 17. [Epub ahead of print].
Morris BJ, Waskett JH, Banerjee J, Wamai RG, Tobian AAR, Gray RH, Bailis SA, Bailey RC, Klausner JD, Willcourt RJ, Halperin DT, Wiswell TE, Mindel A. A ‘snip’ in time: What is the best age to circumcise? BMC Pediatrics2012 Feb 28;12(1):20. [Epub ahead of print]
Wamai RG, Morris BJ, Bailis SA, Sokal D, Klausner JD, Appleton R, Sewankambo N, Cooper DA, Bongaarts J, de Bruyn G, Wodak AD, Banerjee J. Male circumcision for HIV prevention – current evidence and implementation in sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2011 Oct 20;14(1):49. [Paper designated “Highly accessed” in Biomed Central].
- Richard Wamai research brief: Public health policy; Male circumcision for HIV prevention; Health systems in Africa; Human papillomavirus in Cameroon and Kenya; Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) in Kenya; E-Health in childhood health in Kenya; Reproductive health in Haiti; Community Health intervention in Kenya; and African immigrants’ health in the USA
- Morris BJ, Waskett JH, Gray RH, Halperin DT, Wamai RG, Auvert B, Klausner JD. Exposé of misleading claims that male circumcision will increase HIV infections. J. P H Africa 2011;2(e28):117-122.
- Wamai RG, Morris BJ. “How to contain generalized HIV epidemics” article is misconstrued. Int J STD AIDS 2011;22:415-416.
- Banerjee J, Klausner JD, Halperin DT, Wamai RG, et al. Circumcision Denialism Unfounded and Unscientific. Am J Prev Med 2011;40(3):e11-e12. Am J Prev Med 2011;40(3):e11-e12.
- Wamai RG, Larkin C. Health Development Experiences in Haiti: What Can Be Learned From the Past to Find a Way Forward? JMAJ 2011;54(1):56–57.
- Galaraga O, Colchero A, Wamai RG and Bertozzi S. HIV prevention cost effectiveness: a systematic review of the literature 2005-2008. BMC Public Health 2009;9(Suppl 1):S1. [The OptAIDS project: towards global halting of HIV/AIDS]
- Wamai RG. Reviewing Ethiopia’s Health System Development. JMAJ 2009;52(4): 279-286.
- Wamai RG. The health system in Kenya: Analysis of the situation and enduring challenges. JMAJ 2009;52(2):134-140.
- Wamai RG. Healthcare Policy Administration and Reforms in Post-Colonial Kenya and Challenges for the Future. In: Tuija Veintie and Pirjo Kristiina Virtanen (Eds.), Local and Global Encounters: Norms, Identities and Representations in Formation. Renvall Insitute Publications 25. University of Helsinki, Finland. 2009.
- Wamai RG. Reforming health systems: the role of NGOs in Decentralization – lessons from Kenya and Ethiopia. Working Papers, Vol. VI, ISTR Conference. Barcelona Conference. 2009.
- Wamai RG et al (43 authors). Male Circumcision is an Efficacious, Lasting and Cost-Effective Strategy for Combating HIV in High-Prevalence AIDS Epidemics: Time to Move beyond Debating the Science. Future HIV Therapy;2 (5), 399-405.
- Halperin DT, Potts M, Kirby D, Klausner J, Wamai RG, Swidler A, Marseille E, Walsh J, Hearst N. Response. Science Vol. 321 (September 19), 1632-33.
- Potts M, Halperin DT, Kirby D, Swidler A, Marseille E, Klausner J, Hearst N, Wamai RG, Kahn JG, Walsh J: Reassessing HIV Prevention. Science Vol. 320 (May 9), 749-750.
- Klausner J. Wamai RG, Bowa K, Agot K, Kagimba J, Halperin DT. Is male circumcision as good as the HIV vaccine we’ve been waiting for? Future HIV Therapy. 2(1), 1-7 (2008).