Select research and publications by core and affiliated faculty and researchers in health policy and law:
Professor Brook Baker
- Sean Flynn, Margot Kaminski, Brook Baker, Jimmy Koo, "Public Interest Analysis of US TPP Proposal for an IP Chapter," American University International Law Review, (accepted for publication 2012)
- "Settlement of India/EU WTO Dispute re Seizures of In-Transit Medicines: Why the Proposed EU Border Regulation Isn’t Good Enough," PIJIP Research Paper Series, 2012.
- Jen Cohn, David Holtzman & Brook K. Baker, "Efficiencies in AIDS Programming: The Rhetoric and the Realities," 58 J. AIDS 228-31 (2011)
- "ACTA: Risks of Third-Party Enforcement to Access to Medicines," 26 American University International Law Review 579-599 (2011)
- "Letter – Effect of development assistance on domestic health expenditures," 376 Lancet 589-590 (2010)
- "The Impact of the International Monetary Fund’s Macroeconomic Policies on the AIDS Pandemic," 40 International Journal of Health Services 347-363 (2010)
- Jennifer Cohn & Brook K. Baker, "Obstacles and Opportunities on the Road to Universal Access to ARVs," 7 Current HIV/AIDS Reports 161-167 (2010)
- Jennifer Cohn, Asia Russell, Brook K. Baker, Alice Kayongo, Esther Wanjiku, Jael Amati, PaulDavis, "Using Global Health Initiatives to Strengthen Health Systems: A Civil Society Perspective, Global Public Health 1-16 (2010)
- "WHO Positive Synergies Civil Society Research Group, Interactions Between Global Health Initiatives and Health Systems – Evidence from Countries" (2009)
- "Patents, Pricing, and Access to Essential Medicines in Developing Countries," 11 AMA J. Ethics – Virtual Mentor 527-32 (July 2009)
- "World Health Organization Maximizing Positive Synergies Collaborative Group," An Assessment of interactions between global health initiatives and country health systems, 373 Lancet 2137-69 (June 20, 2009)
- Brook K. Baker & Eva Ombaka, "Viewpoint – The Danger of Drug Donations (In-Kind Contributions) To the Global Fund – Adverse Market and Therapeutic Effects," 373 Lancet 1218-21 (2009)
- "Ending drug registration apartheid – taming data exclusivity and patent/registration linkage," 34 American Journal of Law & Medicine, 303-344(2008)
- David McCoy, Sara Bennett, Sophie Witter, Bob Pond, Brook Baker, Jeff Gow, Sudeep Chand, Tim Ensor, Barbara McPake, Gavin George, "Health worker salaries and incomes in sub-Saharan Africa," 371 Lancet 675-681 (2008)
- Gorik Ooms, Wim Van Damme, Brook K. Baker, Paul Zeitz, Ted Schrecker, “The ‘diagonal’ approach to Global Fund financing: a cure for the broader malaise of health systems?" 4 Globalization & Health 6 (2008)
- "Drug Registration Barriers and Logjams, in Missing the Target #5: Improving AIDS Drug Access and Advancing Health Care for All," 49-58 (ITPC Dec. 2007)
- "Placing Access to Medicines on the Human Rights Agenda in The Power of Pills: Social, Ethical & Legal Issues in Drug Development, Marketing & Pricing," 239-248 (Jillian Clare Cohen, Patricia Illingsworth & Edo Schüklenk eds., 2006).
- "Processes and Issues for Improving Access to Medicines: Willingness and Ability to Utilize TRIPS Flexibilities in Non-Producing Countries," U.K. Dept. for Int’l Development, Health Systems Resource Centre (September 2004)
- "Arthritic Flexibilities for Accessing Medicines, Analysis of WTO Action Regarding Paragraph 6 of the Doha Declaration on the TRIPS Agreement and Public Health," 14 Indiana International & Comparitive Law Review 613-715 (May 2004).
- "Working Paper: Analysis and Response to Recent WTO Action Regarding TRIPS Agreement and Public Health, United Nations Millennium Development Goals Project, Task Force 5: Infectious Diseases and Access to Essential Medicines" (Dec. 2003).
- "Teaching Legal Skills in South Africa: A Transition from Cross-Cultural Collaboration to International HIV/AIDS Solidarity," 9 Journal of Legal Writing Institute 145-183 (2003).
Professor Patricia Illingworth
- Jillian Cohen, Patricia Illingsworth, and Udo Schuklenk, Eds., "The Power of Pills: Social, Ethical and Legal Issues in Drug Development, Marketing and Pricing," Pluto Press (2006).
- "From HCQIA to the ACA: The Evolution of Reporting as a Quality Improvement Tool," 33 J. LEGAL MED. 63 (2012)
- Kristin M. Madison, Kevin G. Volpp and Scott D. Halpern, “The Law, Policy, and Ethics of Employers’ Use of Financial Incentives to Improve Health,” 39 Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 450 (2011)
- “The Law and Policy of Health Care Quality Reporting,” 31 Campbell Law Review 215 (2009).
- “Regulating Health Care Quality in an Information Age,” 40 University of California-Davis Law Review 1577 (2007).
- “Restoring Legal Immigrants' State Health Insurance- the Finch Case,” 7 Boston Health Law Reporter 6, 2012.
- "Pandemics, Populism and the Role of Law in the H1N1 Vaccine Campaign," 4 St. Louis University Journal of Health Law & Policy 113 (2010).
Professor Richard Wamai
- Morris BJ, Wamai RG. Biological basis for the protective effect conferred by male circumcision against HIV infection. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2012; 23: 153–159.
- Morris BJ, Bailey RC, Klausner JD, Leibowitz A, Wamai RG, Waskett JH, Banerjee J, Halperin DT, Zoloth L, Weiss HA, Hankin CA. A critical evaluation of arguments opposing male circumcision for HIV prevention in developed countries. AIDS Care 2012, Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wamai RG, Ayissi CA, Oduwo GO, Perlman S, Welty E, Manga S, Ogembo JG. Assessing the Effectiveness of a Community-Based Sensitization Strategy in Creating Awareness About HPV, Cervical Cancer and HPV Vaccine Among Parents in North West Cameroon. Journal of Community Health 2012 Feb 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ayissi CA, Wamai RG,
Oduwo GO, Perlman S, Welty E, Welty T, Manga S, Ogembo JG. Awareness,
acceptability and uptake of human papilloma virus vaccine among
Cameroonian school-attending female adolescents. Journal of
Community Health 2012 Mar 17. [Epub ahead of print].
Morris BJ, Waskett JH, Banerjee J, Wamai RG, Tobian AAR, Gray RH, Bailis SA, Bailey RC, Klausner JD, Willcourt RJ, Halperin DT, Wiswell TE, Mindel A. A ‘snip’ in time: What is the best age to circumcise? BMC Pediatrics2012 Feb 28;12(1):20. [Epub ahead of print]
Wamai RG, Morris BJ, Bailis SA, Sokal D, Klausner JD, Appleton R, Sewankambo N, Cooper DA, Bongaarts J, de Bruyn G, Wodak AD, Banerjee J. Male circumcision for HIV prevention – current evidence and implementation in sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2011 Oct 20;14(1):49. [Paper designated “Highly accessed” in Biomed Central].
- Richard Wamai research brief: Public health policy; Male circumcision for HIV prevention; Health systems in Africa; Human papillomavirus in Cameroon and Kenya; Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) in Kenya; E-Health in childhood health in Kenya; Reproductive health in Haiti; Community Health intervention in Kenya; and African immigrants’ health in the USA
- Morris BJ, Waskett JH, Gray RH, Halperin DT, Wamai RG, Auvert B, Klausner JD. Exposé of misleading claims that male circumcision will increase HIV infections. J. P H Africa 2011;2(e28):117-122.
- Wamai RG, Morris BJ. “How to contain generalized HIV epidemics” article is misconstrued. Int J STD AIDS 2011;22:415-416.
- Banerjee J, Klausner JD, Halperin DT, Wamai RG, et al. Circumcision Denialism Unfounded and Unscientific. Am J Prev Med 2011;40(3):e11-e12. Am J Prev Med 2011;40(3):e11-e12.
- Wamai RG, Larkin C. Health Development Experiences in Haiti: What Can Be Learned From the Past to Find a Way Forward? JMAJ 2011;54(1):56–57.
- Galaraga O, Colchero A, Wamai RG and Bertozzi S. HIV prevention cost effectiveness: a systematic review of the literature 2005-2008. BMC Public Health 2009;9(Suppl 1):S1. [The OptAIDS project: towards global halting of HIV/AIDS]
- Wamai RG. Reviewing Ethiopia’s Health System Development. JMAJ 2009;52(4): 279-286.
- Wamai RG. The health system in Kenya: Analysis of the situation and enduring challenges. JMAJ 2009;52(2):134-140.
- Wamai RG. Healthcare Policy Administration and Reforms in Post-Colonial Kenya and Challenges for the Future. In: Tuija Veintie and Pirjo Kristiina Virtanen (Eds.), Local and Global Encounters: Norms, Identities and Representations in Formation. Renvall Insitute Publications 25. University of Helsinki, Finland. 2009.
- Wamai RG. Reforming health systems: the role of NGOs in Decentralization – lessons from Kenya and Ethiopia. Working Papers, Vol. VI, ISTR Conference. Barcelona Conference. 2009.
- Wamai RG et al (43 authors). Male Circumcision is an Efficacious, Lasting and Cost-Effective Strategy for Combating HIV in High-Prevalence AIDS Epidemics: Time to Move beyond Debating the Science. Future HIV Therapy;2 (5), 399-405.
- Halperin DT, Potts M, Kirby D, Klausner J, Wamai RG, Swidler A, Marseille E, Walsh J, Hearst N. Response. Science Vol. 321 (September 19), 1632-33.
- Potts M, Halperin DT, Kirby D, Swidler A, Marseille E, Klausner J, Hearst N, Wamai RG, Kahn JG, Walsh J: Reassessing HIV Prevention. Science Vol. 320 (May 9), 749-750.
- Klausner J. Wamai RG, Bowa K, Agot K, Kagimba J, Halperin DT. Is male circumcision as good as the HIV vaccine we’ve been waiting for? Future HIV Therapy. 2(1), 1-7 (2008).