Study Abroad Transfer Credits

Transfer credit toward the Juris Doctor degree are accepted upon satisfactory completion of course work in an ABA-approved study abroad program; approval to enroll in any study abroad programs must be obtained in advance from the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.  Please be advised that to meet the ABA residency requirement, a student  must be enrolled in at least 10 credit hours of course work, and receive at least a “C” for credit to transfer.

Transfer Student Credits

A student in good academic standing at an ABA-accredited law school, and who has completed a first year of law school, may apply as a transfer student to NUSL. Northeastern’s first-year requires 34 semester credit hours of coursework.  Transfer students entering Northeastern during their second year may receive up to 34 credits.  A transfer student should have completed the following classes during the first year of law school to be eligible for admission as a transfer student:

  • Civil Procedure 
  • Constitutional Law or Criminal Justice/Criminal Law
  • Contracts 
  • Property 
  • Legal Writing 
  • Torts

A transfer student may be admitted without completing one of Northeastern’s fall semester courses (Civil Procedure, Torts or Property); the student is required to take this missing courseupon enrolling at Northeastern.  Transfer students may not be admitted if more than one first-year course has not been completed. Northeastern does not generally grant credit for upper-level courses taken during the first year or over the summer.

Transfer Credit from Other ABA Law Schools

Students may earn credit toward the Juris Doctor when enrolling in courses in other law schools; advance permission from the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs is required. For credit to transfer, a student should take course(s) that are not offered at the Northeastern and course(s) that enhance their career goals. A student must also receive at least a grade of “C” in the course(s).

Non-JD Transfer Credit

Students may earn a total of six credit hours toward the Juris Doctor by successfully completing graduate-level, non-law offerings in other branches of the university. A student must first secure the approval of the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs before registering for such courses.  The student must demonstrate, to the Assistant Dean’s satisfaction, that such non-law offerings will contribute to his or her professional development or will advance career-related goals.

Northeastern Students as Non-Matriculant Visiting Students

Northeastern students attending another ABA-approved law school as third-year, non-matriculant visiting students may have credits earned transferred to their Juris Doctor.  Northeastern remains the home institution from which the JD is earned and all NUSL requirements must be fulfilled. 

JD/Master of Public Health with Tufts University School of Medicine

Tufts University School of Medicine and Northeastern University School of Law offer a JD/MPH dual degree track. Students who are enrolled and who take certain designated Tufts University School of Medicine courses are awarded up to 12 credits towards their JD. Students who are not enrolled in the JD/MPH program may take up to 4 credits in certain designated Tufts University School of Medicine courses with the advance permission of the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.

JD/MELP in Environmental Law with Vermont Law School

The caefully sequenced JD/MELP three-year curriculum allows some courses at each school to count for credit in both programs. Students enrolled in this dual-degree program are awarded a maximum of 12 credits from courses completed at Vermont Law School towardtheir Northeastern JD.  JD/MELP students take the regular course of law study at Northeastern during their first year. MELP classes at Vermont Law School generally occur during the summer following the student’s second year. Students complete four co-op work experiences before they graduate, one of which counts as a MELP internship. Students may also pursue independent research projects.