Health in Boston – Key Issues Facing the Residents of the City
12:00 – 2:00pm
Northeastern University, Egan Research Center, Room 440
Dr. Barbara Ferrer, Executive Director of the Boston Public Health Commission, is a leader in the field of public health with over 25 years of experience working in health care. In addition to her role at the Commission, Dr. Ferrer is the Chair of the Big Cities Coalition of Health Departments. Join us as she shares her insights into the health of Boston and beyond.
Promoting Health and Well-Being by Focusing on the Family: Family-based interventions with nonresident African American fathers and sons
12:00 – 2:00pm
Northeastern University, Egan Research Center, Raytheon Amphitheater
Dr. Caldwell is an Associate Professor in the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education and Co-Associate Director of the Program for Research on Black Americans at the University of Michigan. She has published in the areas of help-seeking behaviors and informal social supports among African Americans, the Black church as a social service institution, and race-related socialization and academic achievement among African American youth.
- NHSN 11th International Conference. National Hispanic Science Network on Drug Abuse. Coral Gables, FL. August 24-27, 2011.
- 3rd Annual Women of Courage – Honoring the Women in Our Lives. La Alianza Hispana. Boston, MA. July 27, 2011.
- My Hopes and Dreams Art Exhibit and Reception. Art Catalogue. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. May 18, 2011.
- ICUPPH Networking Event with Ms. Mari Gallagher. Boylston St. Boston, MA. April 12, 2011
- Food Deserts, the USDA SNAP, Health Code Violations – and How Smart Technology Can Improve All Three. Raytheon Amphitheater, Northeastern University. Boston, MA. April 12, 2011
- American Planning Association. Preventing Health Disparities: An Evening Roundtable Dinner Discussion. National Planning Conference. Boston. April 9, 2011.
- Dr. Ilan Meyer. Minority Stress Research and the Constitutional Challenge to the Prop 8 Ban on Gay Marriage in California. Distinguished Lecture Series at Northeastern University. Boston, MA. March 16, 2011.
- ICUPPH Networking Social with Dr. Lauren Smith. Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Boston, MA. February 22, 2011.
- Reception for Healthy Visions Project. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. November 2010.
- Healthy Visions Project. Health and Art Workshop. Honan-Allston Branch–Boston Public Library, Allston, MA, Dimock Community Health Center, Roxbury, MA, and Somerville Central Library, Somerville, MA. Fall 2010.
- Golden Opportunity Summit: Exploring Equity-Minded Approaches to Student Assignment and School Reform. Harvard Law School. Cambridge, MA. March 27, 2010.
- Dr. Kerith Conron. LGBTQI Homelessness: Experiences and Action from Youth and Adults. A Provider Workshop. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. April 21, 2010.
- Dr. Anita Raj. Considering Gender, Culture and Context When Addressing Sexual and Reproductive Health in Marginalized Populations. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. April 13, 2010.
- Dr. Sandro Galea. Cites and the mental health of populations. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. March 30, 2010.
- Latin American Health Alliance Celebrates One Year Anniversary of the Hector Reyes House. Assumption College. Worcester, MA. March 26, 2010.
- Dr. Dolores Acevedo-Garcia, Dr. Kerith Conron, Dr. Alison Earle, and Dr. Lindsay Rosenfeld. Institute on Urban Health Research Spring Research Exchange: Four Cutting-Edge, Interdisciplinary Public Health Research Presentations. March 18, 2010.
- Dr. Debrah McKoy. Connecting Cities and Schools – The role of public education in creating equitable, healthy, and sustainable communities. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. March 10, 2010.
- Northeastern University Health Research Exchange. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. February 19, 2010.
- Phil Tegeler & Dr. Hannah Cooper. Choosing a Healthy Neighborhood – Housing Choice, Opportunity and Well-Being. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. February 10, 2010.
- Ashleigh Starke. Addressing the Needs of Immigrant and Refugee Youth: The AjA project. November 30, 2009. (For additional information, see www.ajaproject.org).
- Crew for Cancer Benefit with Miss Massachusetts, Amanda Kelly. Wellness Warriors Sharon, MA. November 13, 2009.
- Dr. Oliva Espin. Is Domestic Violence a cultural tradition?…and other questions about gender and migration. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. October 21, 2009.
- Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish: Nobel Peace Prize Nominee. The Impact of Conflict and War on Children. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. April 16, 2009.
- Enrique Penalosa, Former Mayor of Bogota, Columbia. What happens when you give street space back to the people? Urban Happiness. Boston Public Library, MIT, Northeastern University, and Bikes not Bombs. Boston, MA. February 5-7, 2009.
IUHR Symposium, Northeastern University. Boston, MA. November 2008, featuring:
- Dr. Joanna Almeida. Is blood thicker than water? Social support, depression and the modifying role of ethnicity and nativity status.
- Dr. Sheryl Mendlinger. The mother daughter relationship as a buffer from mental health distress in times of transition: immigration and childbirth.
- Dr. Claudia Santelices. Drinking Behavior and HIV Risk among Migrant Farm Workers in the Connecticut River Valley.
- Dr. Julie Cwikel. Psychiatric Emergency Rooms: Barometers, Petri Dishes and Critical Points of Intervention. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. November 8, 2006.
- Dr. Julie Cwikel. Using Social Epidemiology as a Tool for Understanding the Health Impact of Trafficking in Women for Work in the Sex Industry. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. November 8, 2006.
- Dr. Nora Volkow from the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Addiction and the Brain. National Institute on Drug Abuse. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. November 30, 2005.
- Katie Rubin. Insides OUT! A live-performance show about the abuse of alcohol, drugs, food, and sex. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. September 29, 2005
- Dr. Guillermo Prado. Advancing the science of Drug Abuse and HIV Preventive Interventions for Hispanic Adolescents. Boston, MA. February, 2005
- Dr. Maria Cecilia Zea. Disclosure of HIV-Positive Status Among Latino Gay and Bisexual Men. Boston, MA. February, 2005.
- The Third International Conference on Urban Health. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. October 20-22, 2004.
- Public Health in Crisis: A Threat to Communities; A Challenge to the Academy. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. April, 2004.
- The Public Health Disparities Geocoding Project: Monitoring Social Inequalities in Health. Harvard University. Cambridge, MA. February, 2004.
- Presentation by Bridges for Peace. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. December, 2003.
- Dr. Jean Flatley-McGuire. Hepatitis C: Thinking About Prevention, AIDS in MA: Considering the Implications of Epidemiologic Information for Prevention and Care. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. November, 2003.
- Dr. Norman Anderson. Unraveling the Mystery of Racial and Ethnic Disparities: Why, What, When, Where, How, and Especially, Why? Northeastern University. Boston, MA. October, 2003.
- The Second International Conference on Urban Health. New York Academy of Medicine. New York, NY. October 15-18, 2003.
- AIDS Action Committee. Simmons College Graduate School of Social Work, and Northeastern University Institute on Urban Health Research. Women and HIV Forum. Simmons College. Boston, MA. October, 2003.
- The Multicultural Alternative Health; Healing Expo, Helping people tap into alternative healing systems. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. August, 2003.
- HIV Infection: Challenges in Diverse Communities and Underserved Populations, A Risk Management Program. John F. Kennedy Library and Museum. Boston, MA. April 9, 2003.
- The Massachusetts Health Council and The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. The Impact of Asthma on the Health Care System. Westin-Waltham Hotel. Waltham, MA. May 8, 2003.
- 2-Day Symposium: HIV/AIDS: Who is at Risk? Northeastern University. Boston, MA. March 27, 2003.
- The Therapeutic Implications of Gender, Race/Ethnicity and Class: Women’s Health Conference. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. February, 2003.
- Richard H. Carmona, Surgeon General of the United States. Urban Health: Critical Issues on the National Agenda. Northeastern University. Boston, MA. February 26, 2003.