As part of our ongoing commitment to enhance the technology and information services we provide to the Northeastern community, we are upgrading our SharePoint collaboration tool to SharePoint Online, part of the suite of offerings included in Office 365.
ITS is dedicated to rolling out the various features of Office 365 in a measured approach. SharePoint Online is the next step in this progression. ITS began in October 2014 with migration of all faculty, staff and sponsored account email, as well as role-based access to certain software applications and services. In September 2015, we implemented OneDrive and in June 2016 we introduced Lync/Skype for Business.
Beginning with a pilot group in August, ITS will work with selected departments or colleges to migrate their sites to SharePoint on Office 365 on a rolling schedule through the fall of 2016.
What is SharePoint on Office 365?
At its core, SharePoint Online on Office 365 is the same as the Northeastern-hosted service you recognize, but it is now provided online as part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite of applications.
There are many benefits of migrating to SharePoint Online on Office 365, including:
- Tighter Integration with Office 365 – Office 365 is already a “one stop shop” for email, calendar, Skype, OneDrive, and productivity applications like Word and Excel. Moving to Office 365’s SharePoint Online will provide a more seamless user experience.
- Support for Multiple Browsers and Devices – SharePoint on Office 365 provides better support for a wider variety of browsers and devices.
- Enhanced End User Experience – SharePoint on Office 365 offers improved search functionality, easier navigation and an updated look and feel that is in line with current web functionality.
- More Frequent Software Updates – Updates are made as they become available, decreasing the time it takes for you to be able to leverage new features and functionality.
- Increase in Reliability and Security – Moving to SharePoint on Office 365 allows us to increase reliability and security in a way that is most economical to the university
Phased Implementation of SharePoint Online on Office 365
A representative pilot will take place in August, which will inform the schedule for the fall. More details coming soon!
Within the next few weeks, ITS will begin contacting SharePoint site owners to initiate detailed plans for a successful migration and help to minimize impact during this important transition. We will also provide project updates here on our website and communicate with the university community as the project progresses. Training and support to help with the transition will be provided as well.
Want to find out more about SharePoint Online on Office 365? Check out the following resources to learn more:
- Microsoft: SharePoint Online Videos and Tutorials
- Lynda.com: SharePoint 2016 and SharePoint Online New Features
- Lynda.com: SharePoint Online Essential Training
If you have any questions, contact the SharePoint Migration Team at SharePointHelp@northeastern.edu.
Updates coming soon! Check back for additional details throughout the fall.