As of Monday, June 15, 2015, ITS has completed updating the Northeastern SharePoint collaboration environment. The new URL – sharepoint.neu.edu – is now live.
Learn more about those changes here.
SharePoint is a web-based collaborative workspace tool that allows faculty and staff to share documents and files, post announcements, manage team calendars, create forms and background workflow, organize information, and manage business processes in a secure environment.
SharePoint provides a wide range of functionality to promote collaboration and information sharing with personalization and customization capabilities. The tool provides integration with Microsoft Office for team access to documents, tasks and projects. The specific functionality available and supported includes:
- Shared document management (2 GB of storage space)
- Team/committee collaboration
- Ability to set permission levels per group or item
- Team calendar
- E-mail distribution list capability
- Advanced search; results limited by permissions
- Ability to generate alerts for tasks or deadlines
- Integration with Office*
- Workflow support
- Announcements/discussion boards
- Document versioning and check-out settings
- Form creation
- Ability to automate business processes
*Note: Macs without the Northeastern image may not include some integration features.
Faculty, staff and sponsored employees with NUnet privileges have access to SharePoint and may access sites using their myNEU credentials. You must request access to specific sites from the department, office or committee’s site administrator.
- To request a SharePoint site, a faculty or staff member should go to the Service Catalog in myHelp and select SharePoint Requests in the Business/Enterprise Applications and Services section.
- SharePoint is a browser-based application, so it can be used without installing software on your computer. Internet Explorer is the recommended browser. You may use Firefox, Safari or Chrome, but they might have limited functionality.
- To access a SharePoint Site, either access the site(s) directly by typing the site address into the address bar of your web browser, or navigate to the Northeastern University SharePoint Homepage, where you will need to log in with your myNEU username and password. Typically, the site owner will provide you with a link to the site when you are granted access. You may need to log into SharePoint depending on your location and network connectivity. If you are not connected to the Northeastern network, you must put “nunet\” before your username. For example, nunet\husky.
SharePoint is available except when maintenance is being performed. Notification of maintenance downtime will be posted on myNEU.
To request SharePoint assistance, go to myHELP and select SharePoint Requests under Business/Enterprise Applications and Services. You also may contact the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or at email@example.com.
- SharePoint 2010 Introduction Document (PDF)
- How To: Give people permission to my SharePoint site
- How To: Upload a document
- How To: Check out a document
- How To: Check in a document and edit document properties
- How To: Move multiple files