Through the fall of 2016, we are migrating to SharePoint on Office 365. For more information on the migration and SharePoint on Office 365, please go to the SharePoint Migration to Office 365 Project Page.
SharePoint is a web-based collaborative workspace tool that allows faculty and staff to share documents and files, post announcements, manage team calendars, create forms and background workflow, organize information, and manage business processes in a secure environment.
SharePoint provides a wide range of functionality to promote collaboration and information sharing with personalization and customization capabilities. The tool provides integration with Microsoft Office for team access to documents, tasks and projects.
The specific functionality available and supported includes:
- Shared Space – Document management (2 GB of storage space)
- Security – Ability to set permission levels per group or item
- Increased Collaboration – Team calendars, announcements, discussion boards,
- Access & Mobility – Collaboration with participants on and off campus
- Communication & Productivity Tools – Create email distribution lists, generate alerts
- Advanced Search Capabilities – Results limited by permissions
- Integration with Office 365* – A more seamless user experience
- Document Management – Form creation, document versioning and check-out
- Automation – Ability to automate business processes with K2
- Workflow Support – Ability to automate business processes
*Note: Macs without the Northeastern image may not include some integration features.
Faculty, staff and sponsored employees with NUnet privileges have access to SharePoint and may access sites by going to https://sharepoint.neu.edu and using their myNEU username and password credentials. You must request access to specific sites from the department, office or committee’s site administrator.
- Requesting a SharePoint site – Faculty or staff can submit a SharePoint Site Creation request through the ServiceNow portal (sign-in may be required).
- Signing in to SharePoint – SharePoint is a browser-based application, so it can be used without installing software on your computer. Internet Explorer is the recommended browser. You may use Firefox, Safari or Chrome, but they might have limited functionality. Go to https://sharepoint.neu.edu and use your myNEU username and password credentials.
- Locating a SharePoint Site – Either access the site(s) directly by typing the site address into the address bar of your web browser, or navigate to the Northeastern University SharePoint Homepage, where you will need to log in with your myNEU username and password. Typically, the site owner will provide you with a link to the site when you are granted access. You may need to log into SharePoint depending on your location and network connectivity. If you are not connected to the Northeastern network, you must put “nunet\” before your username. For example, nunet\husky.
SharePoint is available except when maintenance is being performed. Notification of maintenance downtime will be posted on myNEU.