Information Technology Services (ITS) provides a range of security services to assist all members of the Northeastern community in protecting their information, their computers and their networks. The policies governing use of the Northeastern’s computer and network resources are articulated in the Appropriate Use Policy (AUP) (PDF).
Security services include:
- Virus Protection – Virus Protection, in the form of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is available to all students, faculty, and staff. You can load it on your own computer by logging into myNEU and clicking on Software Downloads. ITS monitors the networks for virus threats and infections, making SEP available and regularly updated on all Northeastern-managed Windows and Apple MacOS computers used in labs and faculty/staff offices.
- Confidentiality and Privacy Compliance – Information and assistance is available so all account holders can abide by the requirement to honor and observe the rules of confidentiality and protection of privacy and to apply safeguards to protect university information when accessing, using or disclosing any information that resides on Northeastern University information systems and/or any information that pertains to university programs, or individuals. ITS Security maintains a list with links to state and federal government information and guidelines for maintaining confidentiality and privacy.
- Computer Security Incident Response – Central management point for security incidents available to faculty, staff, and students who suspect a compromise or breach in university systems or accounts.
- Data Sanitization and Destruction – Sanitizes or destroys faculty and staff paper, magnetic, optical or other media containing sensitive institutional or personal data to meet to Department of Defense/National Security Agency standards.
- Information Security Risk Management and Assessment – Examination, assessment and articulation of risk for all instances, uses and handling of university- and student-owned information to assist faculty and staff to make decisions around risk acceptance.
- Network Security Services – Provides faculty, staff, students or groups working with the university with security and protection to the campus information assets via a best-practices approach.
Virus and malware cleanup and remediation support is available, regardless of the antivirus application used.
- Students can go to the ResNet Resouce Center in Speare Commons, or call the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) and press #2.
- Faculty and staff can go to the Help & Information Desk in Snell Library, or contact the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions regarding regulatory controls on access, use or disclosure of information, contact the Office of Information Security and Identity Services at email@example.com.