Information Technology Services, acting as a host, provides the computer infrastructure for faculty and staff who require a secure environment for housing servers, databases and applications.
- Database Hosting – Hosting, consulting and administration of Microsoft SQL and Oracle databases for faculty, staff, departments, colleges and administrative units
- Server Hosting – Consulting, server procurement, installation, administration, network connectivity, security, monitoring, and backup and recovery services, as negotiated
- Web Hosting (NUWeb) – Centralized website hosting environment for departments, centers, student groups, and individual full-time faculty and staff
Faculty and staff who use Microsoft SQL or Oracle databases may contact ITS to request administration of these databases, including maintenance, updates, security, reporting and backups of the databases, as well as general consultation on database/application issues.
To request a consultation or for ITS to host your database, contact the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or via e-mail at email@example.com.
ITS offers a fee-based, securely managed environment to host servers used to provide essential university services and information. Hosting Services include consulting, server procurement, installation, administration, network connectivity, security, monitoring, and backup and recovery services. All hosted systems are housed and managed in one of the university’s data centers to provide controlled access to the physical site, network firewall security, and power, temperature and humidity controls. Systems housed in ITS data centers are monitored by software or staff at all times. Hosted servers are backed up based on your requirements with the backups stored securely on and off-site.
There are two types of server hosting services:
Virtualized Server Hosting Package: Provides hosting services while optimizing physical resources, and through VMware technologies, supports high-availability options.
- Small Linux: $744 (1CPU, 2GB RAM, 50GB Storage)
- Medium Linux: $1320 (2CPU, 4GB RAM, 50GB Storage)
- Large Linux: $3672 (4CPU, 8GB RAM, 50GB Storage)
- Small Windows: $864 (1CPU, 2GB RAM, 50GB Storage)
- Medium Windows: $1440 (2CPU, 4GB RAM, 50GB Storage)
- Large Windows: $3804 (4CPU, 8GB RAM, 50GB Storage)
- Memory per GB: $120
- Storage per GB: $4.20
All of these costs are annual. There is also a $250 one-time setup charge for the server.
Physical Server Hosting Packages (Platinum, Gold, Silver): Provides hosting services for systems that are housed and managed in a university data center with physical access control.
- Physical Platinum Hosting Package – $3,600
- Physical Gold Hosting Package – $1,350
- Physical Silver Hosting Package – $900
To request either virtual or physical server hosting/housing in a centrally managed data center, (including initial setup, administration, network connectivity, security, monitoring, and backup and recovery services) visit the myHelp Service Catalog and select the Server Hosting option.
Web Hosting (NUWeb)
NUWeb is Northeastern University’s web hosting service. It is a free service for full-time Northeastern faculty and staff who wish to create university-connected websites using platforms such as WordPress. For more information about web hosting solutions, please visit: http://www.northeastern.edu/nuweb/.